Engines - choices

DavidC

Oh, and to throw a spanner in the works...

I understand a duratec westy is imminent. I think the duratec would make a excellent XE substitute. Although the engines prolly wont be cheap....

Cheers,

Al.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidC

• juansolo

• Al Yupright

• Blatman

When I went to the Westfield factory Jon Moss told me that a new engine option was about to be launched, but wouldn't say what the engine would be.

He did say that it would sit in the range between the Zetec and the V8, so an XE type power output would seem about right.

Al, How far south? I'm North London (Edgware) based when I'm not at uni anyway, ie from July 3rd onwards.

Cheers

DC

Yup, it is the Duratec. I've heard of a sighting at the factory! Should be nice... It's ali blocked isnt it? and ~200bhp? Only problem is that there wont be many new mondeos in the scrappers, so I'd expect to pay a few grand for an engine. No doubt Westfield will get them new from Ford.

Down the M3, near Winchester. Or next time theres a BECC (Bike Engined Car Club) meeting you could come to that? They tend to be near Guildford, so a bit closer.

Cheers,

Al

If you do go the XE route, injection is the way to go (but, as always, it costs you more to begin with). Carbs give  almost identical power but with injection the engine will be more drivable and more economical to run long term. Also, thinking ahead, MOT emission regs are bound to get tighter to pass rather than easier, with injection if the future calls for it you could quite happily fit a cat if needed with the more popular systems (most of the VX XE engines ran them as standard). Hopefully it wont come to this but you never know.........

Mmmmm SBD tapered throttle body kit.......... :cool:

Stu.

Way back at the start of this thread someone mentioned the puma 1.7 and 200+ bhp.

Not doing this to my westfield (sadly) but I actually quite like the puma's handling (relatively speaking, of course) but found it lacks straight line speed.

Anyone know who tunes them or where I can get some info about this engine?

I sense that the wife might be changing her car soon...

Check out the latest club magazine and you'll see details of Puma tuning  ;)  :D  :)  Who and where  ;)  :)

Aldon Automotive in Stourbridge do the goodies. Tel 01384 572553. Ask for Alan Goodwin (The Al of the ALdon  ;) ). They are about a mile from the Westfield factory.

BTW - Sam, If thats you in your Avatar picture, you have a lot of front end roll. I think you need to investigate an ARB.

John

John,

It is me, and thanks for the advice, I'm getting it sorted when funds are more abundant, it wasn't until I'd done a track day (and dare I say it had a ride in a c******m) that I realised it needed doing.

I must emphasise that the roll has *nothing* to do with my personal physique.

Sam