Best way to fit my tonneau cover?

justin

Having built and SVA'd my westy in March. I have been putting off fitting my tonneau cover for a while now...

Just tried trial fitting with duck tape, but I am not still not that happy with proceeding to mask and start drilling holes in the bodywork - this is going to take me a while to get it right!

One thought that has crept into my mind - best way to fit tonneau cover - pay someone who does this kind of thing for a living?

So does anyone know how much should I be looking to pay to have my tonneau fitted?

Justin

Had mine fitted by a trimmer. Cost £70. I have also changed my roll bar to a Westie RAC and had 4 point harness fitted. He has done a fantastic job  of fitting, cutting new holes for the rear supports and holes  for eye rings to fit through. All above was strenghtened with leather strips underneath. The extra work was £30. I live in the North West if you want the guys details drop me a line.

Cheers

Stuart C

Hi Stuart,

Price sounds very reasonable, but unfortunately I am based in Farnborough (Hampshire). I'll have to try phoning a few places in my area.

Either way I'll probably leave this until I have met some other owners at hampshire club meeting, as someone there might be able to help.

Br

Justin

Hi Justin,

No experience with tonneau covers I'm afraid, but I've fitted a hood to mine and it's not too bad. I'm also relatively local to you (Live in Alton and work in Fleet) so if you ever need a hand with anything give me a shout.

I go to the Thames Valley area meets which happen on the A4 between Reading and Maidenhead. They're probably more local to you and there are a good bunch of us.

Kevin

Justin,

Fitting the tonneau cover is not that onerous a job - it just takes a little careful planning. However, a word of caution ...

The position of the studs on the rear of the car is dictated more by the hood arrrangements than the tonneau cover in use. The reason for this is twofold, item 1) being the most important:-

1) If you are going to have a hood at some time in the future, you will have a hood cradle that will support the canvas when in the 'up' position. This cradle extends above the boot box rim when in the 'down' position this changing the manner in which the tonneau cover is fitted - i.e. with the cradle is will be fitted higher up on the raer of the body

2) The hood fastening at the windscreen end is fixed so some measurements are made from this point

If you have no intention of fitting a full hood then you can ignore the above but if you may want one in the future, you should fit the hood first OR make sure that you have made adequate allowance for its future fitment in your forward planning.

I made up a very simple template for marking the holes at the required height and you are welcome to a copy of it if you do decide to fit your own.

Ok thanks!

I am not sure yet what I am going to do. Might as well wait until I go to the Thames Valley club meeting (this coming Sunday).

Thanks again...

Justin

Hi Justin,

Only think i can recommend is DONT do it on a hot day - when a cold day comes you'll never get it to fit again!!!

cheers and good luck.

Chris