Which Van did you hire?

davew

I will be picking my starter kit up minus the bodywork in a couple of months.  Westfield recommend using a LWB luton van, but driving one of these is a bit like rowing a skip across the Atlantic!!  Which other vans have people used/could I use, would a LWB transit surfice??

Many Thanks.

If you're picking up the chassis, bodywork, and engine in one go, a transit won't really be wide enough, I would have thought...  :(

You might manage with careful packing, but you'd have to stack a lot of stuff on top of the chassis/bodywork.

A tail lift is very handy when you get to the other end...

Jim

I used a Merc sprinter long wheel base pick up/flat bed for the chassie and bits in the starter kit. For the body I used a new mediun wheel base tranist van Check with Andy in the stores and get him to measure the chassie as I belive the chassie fits in a medium wheel base one if the front is up in the air a bit if you go to Ford Fiat Vauxhall Merc and A.N.Other and get the sales books it tells you the sizes and compare with the size Westfields tell you but make certain Andy gives you the Measurments not sales.

Paul.

if you can find one a long wheelbase sprinter they have tie downs allong the sides so you can put your chassis on its side ,then the rest is up to you  :t-up:

I wanted an excuse for a Yorkie Bar so I used an Iveco with tail lift but I did get all the modules at one time.

I agree with the comment about 'rowing a skip' but there was plenty of room to safely stow everything and the tail lift made unloading the engine/gearbox a breeze.

intruck.jpg

I collected my complete kit last Friday - though I did not collect the bodywork.

I used a LWB Luton (VW) with a tail lift.  It wasn't particularly "like rowing a boat" any more than any other van I've driven - sure it was exciting in the strong winds, especially when empty, but it was happy to bowl along at 70mph.

I had plenty of room, but remember I didn't have any bodywork.  It made it all an easy fit rather than having to really stack everything up on top of each other.  It is the floor area you need rather than any height...

A chassis with bodywork would be close width wise - and not leave much room for engine/manouvre (and with fixed rear arches I doubt you'd get it in).  It'll probably fit, but depends how much of a struggle you want.  As someone else said the taillift is very useful for the loading/unloading the engine, and mine is only a tiddler (bike engine).

Got some pics if you want to see how full it was - mail me offline: davidhackettATbtopenworldDOTcom if you want to see them, as my website ain't sorted yet. :angry:

:D

Moom.

I used a Mercedes SPrinter long wheelbase van for mine.  The other one with similar dimensions at my hire place was a Vauxhall Movano LWB.

Cheers

Chris

Build site

Hi Ross

Yes - at least 7 consequtive days without a visit to an airport!

Build's almost over - I just posted a dumb question about how to get the car down off the high stands.

TTFN

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I hired a Transit Jumbo (the latest big Transit, though not as big as a Luton) without tail-lift from a Ford main dealer as they seemed to be offering the best price - around £55 for a day. This was to collect a chassis and body kit. Everything fitted easily. No real need for a tail lift as the guys at Westfield load everything up for you and the chassis is not that heavy. The Jumbo has a side door as well. The one I hired had a huge turbo diesel engine and absolutely flew. If my Westfield goes half as well I'll be pleased!

Yep I agree as I also hired a (brand new) Ford transit LWB from my Ford Dealer - cost £55 for 24hour hire.

This was perfect for collecting my starter kit which included bodywork. Note I went for the 2.5 turbo diesel (biggest diesel they had). Used £30 of diesel for 300 miles - I think because engine was still very tight! Either way this was best van I have ever driven - it even had a very handy drivers arm rest!

Note YOU will need lots of old blankets to stop things moving around and bashing into one another. I went to my local charity shop and paid £10 for a car boot full of sheets and blankets. I returned most of these after unpacking kit...