V8 or bike engine

the toms clan

Hi there,

I'm a scoobynet regular and have been given your details as a mate and i wish to build a westie. The only thing is, as a biker, the only experiance i have is with bike engines, which make the westie's go very quick indeed... so a good start it would seem.

But then i read that you can squeeze a V8 in the same shell, and the V8's are lighter then the vauxhall 2L pinto's !! so this also has to be investigated.

So can anyone comment on the bike lump vs V8 argument, which engines fit into the Westie shell with out too much greif, any comments on "real world performance" differances also appreciated, as i'm not sure whether i want peaky maddness or tail spining torque !!

Any view's / Feedback most welcome !!

Cheers,

Phill

Sorry this will be no help then go Vx or Zetec.  :p

Search the archives using the...... er...... search function.

We've done this to death several times already........

Matt's right though, Zetec or Vx. He'll say Zetec, and I'll say Vx.......

A Pinto is a Ford SOHC motor, and nothing to do with Vauxhall. The Pinto is indeed heavier than a V8, the Zetec and Vx are both lighter than a V8.

errrrrrrrrm vauxhall 2.0 16v  :p

Its getting boring now  ;)  :D  :)

Go for CVH its ermmmmmm  :devil:  :p  :D  :)  ;)  oh yes its an engine  :p  :)  ;)  Well just ............ some would say  :)  ;)  :D  :cool:

If you are a biker already, I'd go for a V8.

This is very unbiased as mine has a Blade engine.

Mine has this engine as it was considerably cheaper than a V8(Factory built £14,000 Vs £20,000+) and I really want a bike but I'm not allowed! This is as close as I can get.

A question relating to this topic:  Why does this list show so little enthusiasm for Rover V8's?  (with all appologies to SEiGHT owners -- and I'm one!;)

As Blatman points out, the Rover V8 is reasonably light.  And it puts out gobs of torque and sounds great.  A nearly stock engine (say headers, cam, and carb on a long block from a salvage yard) should put out 175 horses and be reliable and drivable.  Yet folks go on endlessly about the minutae distinguishing various 2 liter alternatives -- which have to rev to 8k or so to make V8 power.  What's up?

Cheers Guy's I guess i should have had a good poke around the site before posting !!

I shall do so now, Richard indeed thanks for the Megablade comments very interesting looking vehicle, looks like alot of fun !! Thankyou for exposing my lack of car knowledge as you can see.... i know nothing.....well nearly nothing which is probably worse (Blatman .)

The V8 was indeed a "to be different option", but i guess i shall speak to a few owners to weigh up the pro's and cons. I saw one just comming out of Dorking on the A25 going towards reigate on Tues and it sounded so nice it's untrue.

Anyway i shall have a good poke about the site, and post again when i have something more interesting for you guy's.

Cheers,

Phill  :D  :D  :D

should put out 175 horses and be reliable and drivable.  Yet folks go on endlessly about the minutae distinguishing various 2 liter alternatives -- which have to rev to 8k or so to make V8 power.

Wrong! My Vx makes 180ish at the wheels, has plenty of torque (never measured it, and too lazy to do the maths......) with a rev limit set at 6,800 rpm. It'll corner twice as good as most V8's too, due to the more compact mass (ie the mass of the rover is spread across the whole width of the engine bay, unlike a 4 banger........). That's not to say that a V8 doesn't handle, it's just lots of us don't think that they have the advantage (in standard form) that you'd think. A modified one will be fast though, and out handle almost anything, except another Se7en...............

Phil

If you're down Dorking way then the Surrey Area Westfield Club meeting is next Tuesday at The Parrot in Forest Green - for more details have a look at the links page to their site.

I can say from personal experience that you will be most welcome whatever you drive up in and you will be able to speak to several members with a variety of cars (and engines!;) and may even get the offer of a passenger ride in them although sadly the gearbox in mine is being fixed so I may have to turn up in the tintop this month  ???

It'll corner twice as good as most V8's too, due to the more compact mass (ie the mass of the rover is spread across the whole width of the engine bay, unlike a 4 banger........).

Well I hope you'll be using the Pinto instead at Lydden then  :D

Ian

I like the V8 and look forward to getting my hands on one when Cleggy sells his workshop, get's his finger out and buys one...

*burble*

Well I hope you'll be using the Pinto instead at Lydden then  

Pinto.......PINTO.............. :p  :p

Newly fettled (porting job and a cam swap) atmo Cossie, don'cha know. It'll be on the rollers before Curborough, hopefully, and I'm looking for around 200-210 at the wheels..........It'll still have **** tyres though (running out of money/time real fast now........), and I'm still not a very good driver...........  :D  :D  :D

Still, 200ish bhp should be good for some tail out action somewhere at Lydden. I just hope I can catch it when it goes.... :0  :0  :D  :D