which sounds best bet?

chrisbin

Sorry, another what if question......

2 cars available, one factory built with standard 1.8 ZETEC, 6k mls, other is 3 yrs older, 8k mls, not much history but with 2.0 ZETEC & Emerald ignition.

Both look good value and 2.0 is £500 cheaper.

Haven't viewed yet, but trying to decide whether I should look at both.

Have to confess I am getting to Westie overload stage and risking just buying next one I see cos fed up of looking at them and not having one to use - dangerous!

HELP!!  :(  :(

You have got to look at both as its not just the engine that comes into it. What do you want to do with the car Track Days, Drives in the country or long distance touring???

When I built my car I rang the help line lots and sometimes the answers to the question was all we do to the factory cars is xxxxxx and I belived I was proposing to do it better neater and so then made a dessision baced on the advice so my car is no way standard I belive its build to a high standard but no nessaseraly the only way to do the same thing look at the QUALITY of the work and the thought put into the build.

Paul.

Paul

Thanks for your thoughts and putting the effort in to help!

I take your point on the factory/owner builder route. Obviously until you see them its difficult to know.

The car is going to be for dry day use in the Summer (assuming we have one) so i want it to be reliable rather than the ultimate quickie!

However, given this current choice the 1.8 seems a better bet on the face of it (known history, younger car) but I'm worrying about missing out on possible performance advantage of 2.0.....  ???

I have driven a VX2.0 which was v.quick and loud! I've also tried a 2.0 ZETEC and thought it was quick enough. Originally my thoughts were with a 1.6CVH but having tried a couple I am not convinced - and keep hearing stories of timing belt failiure.

Sorry, I know there's no easy answer, but its nice to get people's opinions if they're prepared to share them!

Thanks one and all! :love:  :love:

the 1800 Zetec will be plenty fast enough and if you decide you want to go even faster, there's plenty of tuning stuff out there for them - just ask Dunnell or Raceline - so long as the engine has the '130bhp' cams in it (and the factory should be able to tell you this) then there won't be more than10-15bhp in it to start with which you won't really notice. granted the 2 litre engine has more torque but if you rev the 1800 a bit more it will go just as fast in the 'real world' and if you want some 'lazy' power then get a V8!

Thanks Peter

From my memories of Mondeos - both 2.0 and 1.8 - I found the 1.8 much smoother, just not ultimately quite as quick as the 2.0 - but then you had to rev the 2.0 to get the extra and that was a bit harsh. So your points make sense to me.

Yes, the V8 would be nice, but can't justify the extra expenses for what will be an indulgence!

Just got to try and get to see the 1.8 now!!

Life will be so much simpler when I have finally made a purchase!!!

Thanks again for all the help. :love:  :love:

I'm with Peter, the 1.8 is an good performer and I would recommend it. It can be tuned further if you find you want more performance but it doesn't hang about as it is!

Known history is worth more than 'cubes' IMHO.

Go on buy one .......

Its so important to go and  look at both cars and more importantly drive them both. My 1.8 Zetec has 174 bhp only but the set up on the car is fantastic. A chap at our local meet has an awsome 200bhp at the wheels VX2.0. The engine is as you can imagine amazing, however the car has been set up for his preferences and does not suit me. The one thing you will find by driving different cars is that they are all different.

Good luck

Stuart

Thanks again guys!

I know I need to drive them - its just time and distance!!

I'm getting closer to that purchase!!!

Cheers

Chris