Toybox (Tamworth, Staffordshire)

RoadRunner999

I'd say be cautious too...

Went to look at a car in the spring which was in much poorer condition than advertised! Looked good at a distance as in the photos, but was in very poor condition eg corrosion, damp/mould and oil leeks. It had new alloys with budget tyres which helped make it look better. He had no history and was unsure of spec...

Clearly buys and then sells on having done the car up cosmetically and charges top money, but without servicing the car and I doubt you'd get any come back either!

Bought much much better car ,privately for £300 less!

Hi Guys,

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to provide input.

Just to let you know that I have decided to 'steer' away from dealers based upon gut feeling, perusal of the market (for some time) and all of your comments. It seems that there is more to be lost than gained by taking this route.

Unlike tin-top dealers, there is no added protection available by going to a commercial kit-car seller as far as I can tell - just an added premium for nowt in return.

I hope to hook up with someone via WSCC with a view to making a purchase privately in the near future. Hopefully, sellers on WSCC will have lovingly cared for their cars, be knowledgeable ref. history and honest to boot  ;)

Just to re-iterate my 'wish list' (wanted for road use):

Zetec or Duratec block (1.8l / 2.0l)

Avoid ECU's that tie to an authorised 'garage' (eg. Webcon Alpha)

5 speed box

Wide Body

V8 bonnet

Cycle Wings

Traditional screen / wipers

Full wet weather gear including side doors

Wind deflectors

Quick release steering wheel

Contour dash

High back adjustable seats

Lockable boot

Heater

Yellow or blue ideally

Ready to roll, A1 with no issues or need for further expense

I realise some compromises will have to be made. I will keep looking  :suspect:

If you want Westfield sports seats on adjustable runners you could always make an offer for mine! Took one out last weekend, and will swap the other over in next few weeks. In excellent condit., black upholstery with red piping.  :blush:  :blush:  :t-up:  :t-up:

Personely I would avoid buying a Westi from a dealer unless you find a genuine bargin! (unlikely and if your new to this would you be able to spot a bargin?) they all charge alot more than the cars true market value.

best bet is buy from someone in the club if possible as these cars have normally been loved and had money lavished on them, this way you will be buying a genuinely good car.

My advise would be get to a local meet, get talking to some guy's and pour over there cars learn as much as you can. Then and only then go and see a car for sale (and if pos take some who knows with you, its all to easy to get sucked into the "its shiny phenomanum")

But trust me what ever you buy yo WILL spend money on it! its called upgradeitis, its expensive and very adictive!

I hope this helps

Matthew,

On the 21-22nd of November the WSCC will be at the Kit car show in the Westpoint centre, come alomg and meet us. If it is dry there will be 5 or more in the car park as well.

I have read your wish list, and would suggest some other things to be more interested in (you allude to it), but condition of build is bay far and a way the most important and most expensive to fix.

I would suggest the CVH is a good option for you, as cheap cars and generally really well build and kept with all the bits you want, so meet all of your other requirements and a cheap way of getting into Westfields. If you don't like in say 6-12months, ghen you can sell with little or no loss and if you like but want more either swap to new (now you know what you want) or modify yours.

Don't understand the ECU bit myself, if your no mechanic, then you will need someone who is a dab hand with the RR to sort any issues. The most reliable that i know of is the Weber Alpha, so it's famed lack of owner tinkering is of no issue to you what so ever, whilst its famous reliability will be.

Mark

0797 3326642

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your post and the superb advice that you offer.

Would PM you but have been awaiting privilages and WSCC membership number for a while now :(

Yep - I have been attending the annual kit car show at Westpoint for some years now. Unfortunately I am not able to make it this year due to work commitments.  GUTTED!! :bangshead:

Shame the season is over at Wiscombe Park :(

I really hope to meet up with some local Westfield enthisiasts (in the South West) soon though for a chat and some advise from those 'in the know'. A ride shotgun will also be good (from anyone who is willing)  :D

I find recently that some Westfield factory built cars are registered on 'q' plates??

I was not aware that registering on a 'q' has advantages.

Yep - mine for example.  Factory built in 98 with a CVH engine installed.  Since swapped for a 2L VX XE - with very little fuss from insurers (no difference in policy price @ circa £150 per annum) or DVLA.

Don't worry about the "Q" plate - buy on condition every time.

I live close to Tamworth if you want someone to have a look with you.

Good luck!   :)