Toybox (Tamworth, Staffordshire)

RoadRunner999

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy my first Westy and have come across a seller going by the name of Toybox (Tamworth, Staffordshire) - see pistonheads.

The guys seems to have a good range available at reasonable prices but I am a bit put off by the fact that I can find no information on the seller (eg. specific location, type of outfit, history e.t.c.). Only a mobile number is provided - not landline. There is also no contact name.

Has anyone had any dealings with this chap? Can anyone provide further impartial information.

Am I right to be cautious - should I steer clear?

Many thanks  ???

You are right to be cautious.

Since buying from Toybox, I've had a number of "issues" that, knowing what I know now should not have been there at the price I paid. I would haggle down by at least £800.00 to cover yourself.

You really need to get in there with a torch and check everything.

As a guide, mine had the following that needed "fixing" or replacing:

- missing fuse box cover : still not found a replacement

- missing all 4 carb trumpets : costly purchase

- tyres all way too high pressure and all different

- tyres are directional and a pair were on the wrong wheels

- broken mt75 quickshift : costly welding

- running at 150bhp and not 180 as advertised (now 167 thanks to Troy at NMS) : dont believe the blurb

- not enough historical and legal documentation : not so important on these cars but does add to the value

- fairly well worn windscreen : replaced

- bellhousing "may" have had hairline crack as it went completely after a couple of hundred miles : very costly as the whole lot comes out and gets welded

- cracked gearbox mounting

- various other niggles that have been put right cos thats what one does with older cars but still feel I should have been made aware at the time of purchase

The guy himself seems keen (to sell) and knowledgable but he knew I was green and saw me coming and I think I basically paid over the odds.

So, take someone with you who knows about these things and spend time checking everything over twice, take it for a proper test drive and you'll walk away with a fantstic car for the right money.

Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

I had hoped to make contact with you directly after reading your original post (WSCC contact / membership restrictions prevented this).

Seems that there is a lot to be said for gut feeling when looking into buying a car (particularly with dealers).

Sorry to hear of your experience with Toybox and the purchase.

As the car I was looking at is right at the top of my budget / over budget, I am bailing out on this one. I am looking for a runner and can't afford any nasty surprises after shelling out 8k (have been saving for a Westy for some time - years in fact)!!

Regards & thanks again :D

If anyone is interested, I am looking for a Westy of similar looks / spec. to this (pref. non 'q' plate) - blue or yellow ideally:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1277003.htm

Budget is ideally around 5k but understand this is probably unrealistic for a Westy with Zetec block, so will stretch for the right car.

Budget is ideally around 5k but understand this is probably unrealistic for a Westy with Zetec block, so will stretch for the right car.

for a decent spec Zetec you would need to budget at around £7k - £8.5k IMHO.

There are some very good cars at around the £6k mark but you will be looking at a CVH or similar I would think.

I've been to view a couple of cars with Toybox and another dealer in Tamworth - I believe they are brothers. When I've been in touch with them they have been very helpful. I may just be gullible but they seemed honest. We had quite a long chat about their recent trip to LeMans and cars in general.

All the cars they had on sale (and the ones they were working on) looked good, but were slightly over priced. As with any dealer, they are going to buy up the cheap stuff, tidy it up a bit and sell it high. If you were buying a tin-top from a "forecourt dealer" then you would expect to pay a bit more an get some sort of warranty in return. Obviously not the case here, so I don't see any reason to pay them the premium other than for the convenience of going somewhere that has a couple of cars to try.

£5k for a zetec westie is possible - I've just got one  :D

As said above, decent ones are going to be several grand more, so, in my case there were trade-offs :

A brand new 2.0l zetec blacktop with Raceline 160 kit  :)

Bodywork "in need of some attention"  :(

New hood and frame  :)

... that don't fit over the roll bar  :(

It took a bit of work to get it through its MOT this week, but I think even if I spend £2k on doing it up over the next year, then I'll still have a bargain.

Good Luck,

Tim.

(pref. non 'q' plate)

[open can of worms]

Why ?

Especially if you are on a tight budget ??

You will pay a premium for a vehicle with an age related plate, and (IMHO) you don't get much in return. Makes MOT harder (e.g. emissions). Paperwork for engine swaps are harder.

For someone who has just built an XK120 replica or some piece of classic automotive fineary, then I can understand wanting to make the effort when you register it, but other than that....

[/ close can of worms]

;)

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. Glad I have signed up with WSCC - the knowledge base and input from real enthusiasts is absolutely invaluable!

Yep - I've been rumbled. Although I've been looking to buy and avidly watching the market for a couple of years, I am by no means a mechanic and am certainly a newbie when it comes to kit cars and specs.

I’ve been reading all the usual mags. (kitcar, complete kitcar, tkc mag), attending local events (hillclimbs, shows) for what seems like an age and feel that it’s now time to get more involved. My goodness, I feel so jealous when I see you guys blatting around in your lovely 7’s!!

I don’t have the time or space to build although would love to. I am just looking for something that is ‘ready to go’ and for pure driving pleasure (road use only).

Think I have come across the other dealer in Tamworth - NJ Kit Cars by any chance?

My comment ref. seeking a 'non q plate' is based upon articles that I have read stating that cars are registered as 'q' when it is difficult to ascertain age / history of the vehicle due to multi-donor parts.

I find recently that some Westfield factory built cars are registered on 'q' plates??

I was not aware that registering on a 'q' has advantages.

Am I right in my understanding that ‘q’ status renders a vehicle exempt from emissions testing @ MOT? Presumably this also has implications for tax / road fund licensing? What bracket would a 'q' plate fall into by default for road fund license? How much for instance can I expect to pay for road tax on a 2 litre Zetec Westy?

I note the comment about buying a CVH as opposed to a Zetec based upon budget. I read that CVH (‘Considerable Vibration and Harshness’) units have a reputation for being harsh and noisy at high speeds and unreliable (phased out in 1998)?. I also understand that I should avoid the ‘K’ Series like the plague.

I am looking at the Zetec as opposed to Pinto / Kent Crossflow based hopefully upon reliability, performance, age and future availability of parts. God - I wish I could afford a duratec though :bangshead:

Although I hope to tinker and learn while I go, I need something that I can take into my local garage if any major problems arise. For this reason, I am a bit put off by units that incorporate ECU’s (Webcon Alpha for instance) where you are tied to an authorised centre if any issues arise – not many rolling roads / authorised centres in the South West.

Any advice gratefully accepted (treat me gently!!) :D

Are there any Westy / 7 owners in the Mid-Devon area who meet up? I notice there are owners groups in Cornwall and Bristol / South Wales, but there seems to be a void in-between.

Thanks guys ;-)

My SEiW  is on an age related plate and is visible smoke only  :t-up:

regards the engine number , no one has ever asked to see or checked mine , I dont think it's even stamped on the block,  though it is noted in the V5

afaik anyone can change an engine number , it's a piece of cake

:t-up:

If all you want is something enjoy the experience and thrill of driving about in a 'Seven' then IMHO there's nothing wrong with a CVH.

My tuned CVH will see off a Porche Boxter from the lights and will show most cars a clean set of wheels up to he legal limit (and slightly over). Above that and it does seem to be fighting the wind and could do with a bit more umph - and the roar from the wind is all that I can hear anyway.

Nothing wrong with a Q plate either. Mine was factory built in 1996 and has excellent provenance for future re-sale.

As for road tax, for all cars registered before 2001, rates are decided on engine size. Under 1549cc its £125 per year. Over 1549cc its £195 per year.

Never had any derect dealings with toybox but a friend has, he organised to go all the way down there in the rush hour traffic, rang the guy as he wasn't answering the door only to be told he was 2 hours away & had "forgotten" about it.

Looking at his adverts his descriptions are poor (not sure whether he actually knows what he's talking about reading some of the adverts) and have a high bs content imo, and the cars are overpriced generally.

Beware and be extremely cautious or avoid would be my advice.

HTH

Mark.

As for road tax, for all cars registered before 2001, rates are decided on engine size. Under 1549cc its £125 per year. Over 1549cc its £195 per year.

This is also the case for cars registered after 2001 since CO2 emmissions data for kit cars is not available for the purpose of calculating the road tax banding, therefore everything is taxed under the old system.

I gave consideration to a couple of Cars from them over the summer. Never had any particularly bad service however the cars where all highly priced for very standard setups. I must agree with the above that the adverts where full of very speculative and over rated statements. When i started to delve deeper into the detail it became clear that there is a lot of smoke and mirrors that appears aimed at drawing in an inexpirenced buyer.

I have had direct contact with this guy.  At first on the phone he was really helpful.  

I made an appointment and confirmed it with him twice to go and see the Gulf coloured car.  

When we got there we rang him and he claimed he'd got his days mixed up and that he was delivering a car in Northampton.

He'd already told us about his millionnaire cousin who'd been to Le Mans in it and who lived a few miles away and that was where the car was kept (although he said that the paperwork for it was at his place).  We asked if we could at least view the car, given the distance we'd travelled to see it.  He was really cagey and made some fairly pathetic excuses as to why we couldn't view it that night.

After that he failed to asnwer any phone calls or emails.

The Gulf coloured car has since been re-advertised on at least two occasions with a message in the header saying "now sold".  (Not the normal way you'd tell Pistonheads that you've sold a car)

I don't understand what this guy is up to but I would recommend extreme caution...

As a recent first time owner of a Westfield, I'd say get involved with your local WSCC and speak to the guys there.  The knowledge, advice and help has been absolutely fantastic.