Wishbones

TerryC

Could someone please explain to me why Westfield wishbones all droop downwards (front & rear), when all the tuning and chassis development books (Suspension & Brakes by Des Hammill in particular) all state that this is completely wrong!

They dont if you have a track set up. Most of the road cars  are set up very high to overcome normal driving road obstacles.

Does the road set-up have any adverse handling problems?

With the wishbones drooping downwards, I can only think that there is so much grip at the front end anyway, that they can afford to loose some with making the set-up better for the road. I suppose I could put shorter springs in to lower the ride height. ???

You can adjust the ride height on a standard set up - the shocks have an adjustable spring platform. No need to use shorter springs unless you want to go extra low and this would be hopeless on normal roads with the reduced ground clearance.

Mine is standard road set up and I can confirm that the handling is excellent. You can also adjust the damper settings, so it can be set up to suit individual needs.  preferences.

Regards

Richard

In my opinion its not just to widen the wheel base, but to get the king pin inclination to a better state by also fitting wheels with a larger inset. This will improve steering response and turn in.

John

Could someone please explain to me why Westfield wishbones all droop downwards (front & rear), when all the tuning and chassis development books (Suspension & Brakes by Des Hammill in particular) all state that this is completely wrong!

Make sure you have the correct dampers, especially on the rear. westfield supply 12" & 14" to the rear & there is no guideline to which you need (ie yer or model) they are producing the two chassis at the same time. My car had your problem, & I had been supplied with 14" dampers when I should have had 12". I relaced the springs & dampers with 12" AVOs from CAT motorsport and now have ample adjustment to suit raod & track

Make sure you have the correct dampers, especially on the rear. westfield supply 12" & 14" to the rear & there is no guideline to which you need (ie yer or model) they are producing the two chassis at the same time. My car had your problem, & I had been supplied with 14" dampers when I should have had 12".

How did you know you needed the 12" ones ? Is there a way of differentiating between the two chassis ?

I've always thought the rear end handling of my car was a bit "suspect" despite being factory built and setup. Maybe it has the wrong length dampers fitted in which case it's time to buy some AVOs.