A daft question i know

neo

where is the best place to jack up the car with a trolley jack in each corner, i realise it sounds daft but better be safe than sorry,common sense would tell me on the chassis where more than one tube welded joint meets another to spread the load but hey i could be wrong :( so where is the bast/safest jacking point then :durr:  :durr:  :durr:

I had some bits replaced by Westfield at my house once and the chap who came to do the job jacked up the rear of the car using the diff case.

I jack up the front by putting a small, flat piece of wood where two sections of chassis meet and the jack rests on that.

Seems to work fine.

I do have a lot of trouble fitting the trolley jck under the chassis though as it's a bit high to get underneath it.

Until I bought a new low reach jack from Machine Mart (Clarke) I used to have to jack the front up a bit with the scissor jack and then place the trolley jack under the front to complete the task. In all cases, I use a piece of wood as a packing piece to protect the chassis.

The best place at the front is in the centre of the very front cross member - when jacked up to the right height, slip an axle stand with a wooden packing piece on it's top under each side rail about 3" in from the front member.

For the rear, jack up in the middle of the cross member that the under-floor sheeting and rear of the cockpit sheting starts from and then place an axle stand (with wood packing piece) under each outside corner of the same cross member.

This is safe, secure and balanced and allows the maximum amount of approach to all the mechanicals.

Never rely on just the jack.

I do have a lot of trouble fitting the trolley jck under the chassis though as it's a bit high to get underneath it.

I also had this problem but get round it by driving the front wheels up onto a 4-5" wooden block - this gives me just enough room to fit the trolley jack underneath.

Cheers

Simon

Bananaman,

I've tried giving my Westy some drugs but the trolley jack is still best for jacking it up!  :D

You're right -JUST SAY NO! (Cue the kids from Grange Hill)