Quick Shift

Bananaman

I have a 2L Zetec with a MT75 gearbox and am considering putting in a Quick Shift.

Plays-Kool say that the MT75 is a large/heavy unit and that you need to take the gearbox out to fit the quick shift.

They also mentioned a Type 9 gearbox as it is smaller/lighter and replacement gears are more available.

It sounds like it will cost about £500 to buy a quick shift and have it fitted to the MT75.

Dose any body know how much it would cost for a Type 9 gearbox(& quick shift) and whether it is a better option?

???:0  :cool:

P.S. How do you get a picture on your messages? :sheep:

Errr £500 for a quickshift ??   Shurely shome mishtake ??!!

And is it really worth changing the gearbox just to get a quickshift gear lever ??

Westfield MT75 quickshift is £200. (don't believe they are available elsewhere)

It's easy to fit but does require the gearbox to be removed.

It is expensive but superb, with a very (very!!;) short precise throw. Adds to the race car feel, I reckon it's well worth it.

Carl

The mt75 is an all ally box and the type 9 is cast iron? And it’s still lighter? I wouldn’t have guessed that.

Any way the original gear shifter I did remove mine with out removing the box but it was trough the top of the transmission tunnel and I worked like a gynaecologist but cant remember if I fitted the new shift this way.

jamie

I might of got the heavyer thing wrong, its just bigger and harder to get internals.

Spoke to the factory today, Quick shift £229 (says £240 on web site-still not arguing if its cheaper) they recon on 3-4Hrs to fit it @ £47.50/Hr (ouch!!!!!!!!!!;):angry:

I think that someone else might get that job. Might even do it myself.

Has any body done this themselves? and if so how difficult is it, any special tools needed? (3-4 Hrs may become 3-4Days)

:0  :0  :0

Bananaman,

once you have the engine and gearbox out, it's only a 4 bolt 20 min job to attach the quickshift to the gearbox.

Probably a day in total for engine box in/out.

If you're near Northampton I can give you some moral support.

Carl

Carl

Does the engine and box have to come out? seems like a lot of work to change a gearlever, or is there more to this quick shift kit? On the type 9 on my old Westie it only took 15 mins to remove gearlever and extention kit. Must admit I have not had a close look at the MT75 in my new Westie, but it certainly needs a quick shift!! :0

Rob,

I guess most things are possible but it would be more difficult.

The quick shift isn't just a lever, it's also an 18/24inch extension that bolts to the sides of the gearbox (at it's widest point).

To replace in situ would mean removing scuttle, windscreen, transmission top etc. I still think engine out would be easier (with less swearing)

Carl

Right yes that does sound like a lot of work perhaps engine out and switch to a modified (BGH) type 9 gearbox would be a better option, does the MT75 have any good points????  ???  ???

Thanks everybody

I am even more undecided now, is it worth changing to a type 9 box with a quick shift.

I take it a quick shift on this only involves a shorter leaver?

I can not envisage messing around with internals, although first is too short on the MT75 (unlike the throw ;) )

How much is a type 9 box?

Cofused

???

First will be too short on the type 9 too, until you change it. The fact than you can change 1st gear at all is one benefit over the MT75.............I don't recall seeing alternative gearsets for the MT75 advertised anywhere.

A quick shift is much more than just a shortened lever. It involves moving the fulcrum point for the ball joint at the lower end of the lever to produce the same movement at the selector fork for a shorter movement in the cockpit.

You can pick up a virtually new type 9 for around 5-600 quid, which will have the "right" internals. You should be looking for Quaiffe semi helical gears (or straight cut, if you can stand the noise), with a 2.6 or 2.39 first. If you have a 3,62 diff, don't go higher than a 2.6 first (ie the 2.39 will not be very good)

Ta Blatman

By the way are you a proffesional adviser on this site or are you addicted - (me thinks the latter) .

I must admit my daily intake is on the increase, is there a cure?

:blush:  :blush:  :blush:

I'm addicted...............

Also, and the main reasons for my numerous postings, is that I want to provoke discussion. Thats what theses boards are for. I'll give my opinion, and if it's good, then fine. If it's bad, I want to be corrected. This has two benefits;

1. I learn more.

2. There are more and varied opinions on every subject, thus helping everyone to be better educated/prepared for when **** happens...............

There are more and varied opinions on every subject, thus helping everyone to be better educated/prepared for when **** happens...............

You are wise beyond your tender young age Blatters  ;)  :)

Listen to your elders ...... for they know better than you ...... because .......... they are older  ???  :sheep:  :arse: