MT75 thrust bearing and spacer

Taurus

A few weeks ago someone posted a message about a rattling clutch or bearing on an MT75. I have heard that if you fit the westfield spacer and thrust bearing to the MT75 and Zetec combo that it starts to rattle badly very quickly. Is this correct and if so it looks like another Dunnell product ie. their flywheel and clutch plates do away with the need for a spacer. Anybody got any comments.

Thanks in anticipation.

Rattling clutches/gearboxes are quite normal. Generally it's the 1st motion shaft making (the clutch rattle) the noise, and it is nothing to worry about. Every gearbox I own rattles (I own 5, on various cars and 1 motorbike). The worst is the straight cut type 9 on the hillclimb car, followed by the MT75 in my XR4x4. The best (even better than Blatgirls BMW 3 series coupe! ) is the green car. It's almost silent. It's started leaking though, and I'd prefer noisy to leaky.......ho hum..........

A spacer, or lack thereof will not make the 1st motion shaft fitt any beter in it's housing, so I can't see how it would rpevent any noise.

Adjusting the clutch cable so that it stops the rattle would mean that you are dragging the release bearing on the clutch cover actuating fingers. CRB's are not designed to be spun up by the clutch all the time, and would fail in fairly short order. I stand to be corrected on the last point though, but I can't see what part (of the clutch/gearbox assembly) of adjusting the cable to prevent rattling would "use" as a damper, if it's not the CRB.............