Leaking type 9 box

tingtong

Ive recently fixed what seems to be a common problem with the type 9 gear box and was just wanted to share the info, i am by no means the most technically minded here and sorry if it sounds a bit condasending (i also cant spell)

upon investigation of oil on my garage floor i foud some small droplets comming from the original mechanically driven speedo drive, which on a type 9 is located on the drivers side of the box, near the the joint between the box and the prop. the drive itself is plastic with a metal sleeve and has a square hole.

My gearbox was a reconditioned unit and did have a rubber seal around the drive which sometimes is good enough to seal but for me unfortunately it was not.

To permanently solve this problem its best to remove the drive and seal all together and replace with a 16mm diameter core plug.

Now this is quite easy with the box out of the car all you have to do is lightly tap the speedo drive which will push the original core plug on the opposite side of the box out, you should them be able to totally remove the drive with a pair of pliers

However if like me the box is in the car it can be a bit trickyer as there is not enough room to get a good swing with the hammer. to solve this i had to remove the seats and the transmission tunnel carpet drill a hole in the transmission tunnel panel in the approximate place of the speedo drive then use an old exstention bar as a sort of punch up against the speedo drive.

This is where you may need another pair of hands to steady the punch up against the speedo drive whilst you hit it inside the car i unfortunately did not so every now and again i had to get back under the car to make sure the bar was still in the correct place. After a short while of hitting the speedo drive i managed to push the  core plug on the oposite side of the box out there is just about enough room then to lever the drive out with some pliers.

Once the drive is out you can then put in the 16mm core plug again room is an issue but again i used an old exstention bar to drive the plug home, getting the plug in square can be tricky, to help this i additionally used a 10mm deep socket which i slightly ground down so that the core plug will comphortable sit onto, i then very carefully lined it up and tapped it very gradually home (very trying on your own)

I used the same technique on the opposite side of the box on the larger core plug which you have to remove to get the drive out. I also used a sealant as well and touch wood no more leaks  

I hope this may help someone in the future sorry its a bit long and has no photos

• 3 years later...

Do you have to drill a hole in the passenger side footwell too? I mean in order to access the core plug on that side?

Or is there an easier method that skips removing the speedo drive? Like I heard somewhere that the cable be simply pulled out then the sleeve filled with silicone to stop leaks? Does that sound sane?

It works if you dont have a mechanical speedo.

I had same problem of oil leak when the lower core plug dropped out. Decided to remove the speedo drive at fit a purposr made alloy plug in higher hole and  core  plugs for lower one. Then found it to dificult to fit these with gearbox in situe. In the  end I removed speedo drive then used two large washers and a long bolt plus gasket sealant.  Did it about 3 years ago no probs since and dont have to worry about core plug dropping out again.

And presumably then, make alternative arrangement for your speedo...?

Already fitted new digital speedo. Just haven't got round to removing old cable yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Having now pulled my old speedo cable out there's part of the drive unit still sticking out as in pic - should I remove it? Or push back in?

7E7F428A-B3CA-42FF-97A9-1557287FB0E3-241

• 1 year later...

I expect you have already sorted it given the date, but that is attached to the speedo gear.

To remove it you have to remove the closure (coreplug type thing) on the other side from it it, which will allow to push it up inside and take the gear out. You will then need to pull our the seal, and replace it with a plug, and then fit a replacement coreplug on the other side.

Daniel

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

I´m struggeling with the same problem with the T9 gearbox from my wife´s seven.

Last week, i pulled out the whole engine with the gearbox and replaced the shaft seals in the front and the back. Unfortunately, the gearbox is still leaking.

When i put the whole ting back in the car, i noticed that it is impossible to place a ring to fix the speedo cable in the T9.

So, i think this is the place where the oil comes out.

I thought about using an electronic speedo sensor (original Ford part if possible) and combine it with an electronic Smith speedo (as she already has Smith gauges, this one would fit to the rest).

Can anybody tell me, which original Ford sensor i have to use? I thought about using this parts:

http://www.burtonpower.com/revotec-electronic-speedo-adaptor-ford-gearbox-revt9-a.html

http://www.burtonpower.com/ford-electronic-speedo-sensor-revfss.html

Will any of these speedos work with the signal of the original Ford sensor?

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=070.200

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=070.204

Edited by pat...

I have not done anything with electronic speedos, but I have a type9 in my narrowbody fitted with a mechanical speedometer cable via a 90deg drive.

When I had the gearbox out for another job I changed the speedo seal, which as above is done by removing the large core plug opersite, removing the speedo gear and seal, but then instead of core pluging it off you just push the new seal in, and replace the speedo gear and fit a new core plug on other side.

My 90deg fitting looks like this, only its a cast rounded body rather than a square/billet one.

http://www.burtonpower.com/90-degree-speedo-drive-adaptor-gbt9560.html

Daniel