Fitting a Lotus 2.2 Elite Engine

ATB

Hi Folks.... New to the board have a dilemma.

My X-flow engine has died and needs some major stuff doing.. Pistons, con rods , valves, re seat , grind, cam... etc.

So, I can get hold of a Lotus 2.2 16V out of an Elite.. 160BHP, very nice.

However mine is a narrow body. So will it fit, do I need the Lotus gearbox, will that fit ?

Anyone running with one or any ideas wher I might get some answers.

Help... !!     ???

Don't know if it will fit (I have my doubts as from memory the Lotus engine is canted over quite a bit) but why not talk to Paul at Plays Kool Motorsport as they have done a lot of engine changes and might have some info for you - details are on the Links page...

The Lotus engine in the Elite is loosely based on an old Vauxhall lump if I recall.  It's not the Ford based Lotus Twink I don't think.

As peter said it always used to be canted over at a quite severe angle in things like the Jenson Healey and Lotuses - not sure if it *needs* to be like that but it sounds as if it might be quite a tall engine which might present fitting problems.

If it's anything like the "Lotus" twin cam in a Talbot Sunbeam, then it will not fit in a narrow Westfield. You'd have lots if trouble in a wide I would think, too.

In that case, I'd have said it was a non starter, especially in a narrow bodied car........

Besides we all know Lotus stands for

Lots

Of

Trouble,

Usually

Serious

don't we......... :0  :0  :D  :D

Naaaaaaaa

N/A Cossie is what he needs :devil:

I KNOW they fit, even in chassis' designed for crossflows :0  :0

:D

Used to do tarmac rallies in a lotus Sunbeam,the first hot hatch. It's a good strong engine bit of a class leader in the late 70’s/80's strong torq curve etc  

But it will not fit in a westy of any description as the engine is canted over, this makes it nice and low but very wide. it was based on the old VX lump as found in Firenza/ :arse: Viva with a 16V head bolted on.

Suppose you could fit swept wings to keep  the sump and carbs dry Tee Hee  :p  :p:t-up:

Gezza

having fitted an engine not use but westfield I have found  point why should not !!!!

engine mounts

exhaust system

wiring loom

injection system

ignition system

size of engine

weight of engine (sva)

BIG ONE WILL THE BONNET FIT!!!

gear box

clutch

thrust bearing (will it reach?)

prop shaft

alternator mount

not trying to put you off but this is the list i have had to deal with over the last year

I wish i bought a ztech 2.0l

jamie

good luck

Thanks guys,

Seems I may just buy the engine for use in something else later on down the line........

So, time to rebuild the X-Flow then.

Bore to 1700 ?, What Cam ? , Valves ?, Pistons ?, etc.

Who has the best X-Flow Spec....... ?