Gearbox replacement

AndrewKernick

I have a 1989 Sei with a 4spd Ford box. How easy is it to swap to a type 9 5spd. Will I need to shorten the prop, move gearbox mounts etc. ?

Yes, but you knew that already ;)

I converted my narrow car from 4 speed to 5 speed, had to get a shorter prop, and buy a new rear mount which mounts further back in the chassis than the 4 speed mount, which you *should* cut out..........

Thanks Blatman. I thought so. My Four speed is losing the detent between reverse. As a result 2nd is hard to get sometimes (the lever goes too far to the left). 5sp will be the way to go I think. Mine is a narrow bodied 89 Sei running 1600 X-Flow with twin 40's. Had it for 4 years. Spent the last 2 years in the garage not turned a wheel until I did a trackday at Cadwell in April. I know people think you should not go to Cadwell for your first trackday, but I have an advantage, I used to work there.

Same thing happened with my 4sp.

Fitted a 5sp in about a morning (had some help!;).

I rang the factory and they gave me an A-Z of how to change it.

Rather than getting a new mount, I cut the gearbox mount and moved it further back, the 'box itself was just a straight swap (no need to change shaft) and the trickiest bit was the clutch.  I didn't plan on taking it out again - though I did - hence change all you can when it's out - new clutch, new crank seal, new fly bolt etc etc.

Total cost of parts inc type9 (2nd hand) was less than £120.

Hi All

I have a wonderful 'Rocket' C/r box in my SEiW (Modified 2litre Pinto). 70 in 2nd and 90 in 3rd! But that 5th gear would be useful. I'm a bit out of date and can't remember which is the Type 9 (4 speed?)and which is the MT75 (5 speed?).

I think mine's a Type 9, so can the gearset for 1st to 4th be built into an MT75 5 speed?

Please excuse any 'faux pas' I am a newbie to this board.

ttfn

Type 9 and MT75 are both 5 speeders. There has been loads written about the benefits of the type 9 over the MT75. Use the search button at the top of the page and........er........ do a search..........

Didn't change my prop either.  You'll either have enough leeway (the 5 sp is only a few mm longer) or you may need to shift the engine mounts.

Moving the g'box mount is quite straightforward with the engine and box out.

There is also a 4 speed type 9 as fitted to earlier Sierras which has the same 1" 23 spline shaft and same sized propshaft output. The overall length of the gearbox is a mere 6mm less than the 5 speed meaning that to interchange 4 and 5 speed boxes of this type needs only the mounting position to be moved forward.

John