CVH what bhp do you reckon

neo

The westy im after is a factory built 1600 qc spec cvh on twin 40's,not sure of any other specs but what sort of bhp fiquire do you think it would have as a guess. :(

as another little quirk to this what power could you squeeze out of a cvh and is it worth in the long run and what about using a RS turbo unit 200bhp ish my old RS was quick when i had it 10 years ago...... :durr:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Seabrook

• neo

• stu999

• damianc

Have you actually been in a Westfield yet? It doesn't sound like it....... :p

If you're anywhere near West London, mail me, and I'll re-adjust your sights as to what is meant by a quick car.........

Steer clear of turbo's too, unless it's a certain (recently crashed) one.................

Yeah ive been in a couple but both were zetec 1.8 with all the cats and emmissions gear on and to be honest i was impressed but not blow away by it and have assumed that the zetecs i went in were 98S and 99T plate cars both 115 BHP, both injection std ford stuff,and there fore assumed that a 1.6 cvh would be slower again and i would be even less impressed,so i would be looking to upgrade it in the future and would enjoy doing it ( ex mechanic see ) was looking for the best way forward before i handed over my cash for the wrong car,that said its everything i want even down to the colour and seats but its a cvh thats my dilemma based on what i thought of the zetecs i went in,must admit never been in a cvh westy but assumed it would be slower again than the zetec cars,having said that the cvh is on twin 40's with no cat etc may be a cam and pully and a bit of porting etc my be enough whats your thoughts,what do you run in yours ? oh and i just dipped out on john felsteads cosworth powered westy that would of been right up my street i'm gready you see.i no Subarus are not your favorite cars on here but they do tend to spoil you as mine was 350 BHP and went light a train,cheers Neo

Im in the same situation as you Neo,we have just sold a genuine 400bhp GTIR so were worried about anything else being slow,but we went out in a Westie with 2l 16 v vauxhall lump in it and we were very impressed :D ,so perhaps you just havnt found the right one yet

rightly or wrongly ive bought it ?

its like this its 90% what i want right colour,trim,seats,dash, wheels,tyres,year,loads of extra spec, but its a CVH so this is the plan run it this year till november ish sort out a 2.0 XE vaux unit in the mean time and drop it in for next year,gives me time to adapt to the westy with that little bit less poke for now.well thats it   :0

so am i mad or what :t-up:

Does it matter?

Congratulations on the purchase.

See how fast it corners compared to a Scooby?

Do you get it yet........ :devil:  :D

A Zetec conversion is a lot easier to do a bit down on power compaired with the Vauxhall but a bit lighter so it down to choice [in a car that weighs 500kg then every kg must be worth 2BHP per ton]. If the cam end of the engine is near to the nose cone then the Zetec is maybe better due to it being lighter if there is a 4" gap then either engine as the balance is better. You could have the car corrner weights checked to see which would be the best choice for the car, my car is about 136kg at each corner and the biggest diferance is 6kg's and that was straight after SVA so no weight relocation tricks yet!!

Just as a guide my engine an 1800 Zetec has had the valves cleaned up and 130 cams fitted, ARP rod bolts, 40 thou' off the head and produces 162 bhp at 6800.

But for now spend £300 on some petrol and enjoy the driving.The other BIG preformance gain is bin the windscreen if fitted what a big air brake they are.

Paul. :D  :D

you do speak sense so i will opt for the zetec i reckon, i will let you no what i think on sunday night when i have had it a day, :D  :D  :D  :D

Neo, enjoy the car as it is, BUT BUT BUT before you go any further try a VX engined car, the torque/power curve is just so much better. No, ignore that, just try VX against any ZT and I guarantee which you'll prefer. PS bolting a pair of 45's to a standard redtop gets you 175/180 bhp and much reliability.

Bit optimistic 180bhp from just bolting on carbs you would need a good exhaust system for that. The Zetec will be only about 10bhp at similar states of tune and Paul is right the Zetec is about 20kg lighter than a Vx. We all know how the bec boy like to say how much difference weight can make to corner speeds. As for torque and driveability even Blatman said my carb engine Zetec was almost as sooth as his injected Vx when he drove my car.   :0  It must have been good with praise like that he even went so far to say that it was the best carb engine Westfield he had ever driven.  :p

Please do not right off Zetecs without at least giving them a serous thought. To many blinked Vx drivers out there.    :arse:

1000kg/600kg*165bhp=275 horse power per ton (Zetec)

1000kg/620kg*175bhp=282 horse power per ton (Vx)

282hpt/(1000kg/600kg)=169bhp

169bhp-165bhp= 4bhp this is all you are really short of for a Vx

Better weight distribution due to lighter mass and lower centre of gravity will more than make up for the 7bhp per ton difference

Cant believe it myself or they are not used to someone talking cense  :p  :arse: