Bike or Car engine?

Hanslow

OK, I'm new on here and yet another Scooby owner looking to go for something less practical, expensive, more fun.

Been reading around the subject a bit (and I mean only a bit :blush: ) and been reading the odd post on here to try and get some info.

Myself and my good lady have decided we would like to get a westy kit car and build ourselves. First, we've got to move house, but in the meantime I'm after as much info as possible on the options.

What I can't make my mind up about is type of engine to go for. I'm not trying to start a flame war between anybody, I just want objective opinions on pros and cons about each.

Engine choices would be a zetec 1800 or 2000 and probably a blade for the bike. What are the pros and cons of car/bike engines?

Obviously bike ones are lighter, sequential shift (haven't tried this so don't know if that is good or bad), revs! Are there any issues with an engine meant to drive one wheel with lighter weight being used to drive two with more weight? Can you pootle around OK in a bike engined car or does it become a chore? Bike engines seem the cheaper option, but are you getting less reliability/usability for your money?

Again, only questions and any info you can give will be very useful  ;)  Apologies for the lengthy post. Also, are any of you in the Notts area that would be interested in meeting up for discussions, info and soft beverages?

Cheers

Steve

Forgot to ask, have you guys got any recommended reading, either for the build itself or just general info about westies?

Cheers

Steve

have you guys got any recommended reading

The WSCC magazine  ;)  :D  :)  for all would-be owners  ;)  Contains many members cars for sale  :)  at VFM prices  :cool:  ;)  :)

Another bl**** Scooby - the new shape car must be slow and ugly :D I think as many people on here own Imprezas as own Westies!

Like yourself, I too am looking for a Westy to use instead of the Scooby on the 3 warm days a year. It seems there's quite a few of us - have a look for posts from myself or Catflap - you should find some useful background reading there.

Good luck,

Andy.

Hi Andy ;)

I've seen some of the Scooby guys hanging around here :D so I thought I would join you :sheep:

Basically for me, I love the Scoob, but they are becoming too much of a crime target never mind ugly :D A good car, yes, but I yearn for a real sports car, with wind in the (rapidly vanishing) hair, and something I can tinker with more mechanically. I'm hoping that a self build will help me learn the car inside out (apart from the engine internals) so that I can tinker with it a bit more. It'll be a third car, as I will part chop the Scoob for a sensible runaround that is cheap to run (unlike the Scoob) and use the Westy on the good days.

Hope to see a lot of the owners around, once we have got one :) Need to get some serious house hunting going on now so we can move somewhere with a BIG garage ;)

Cheers

Steve

go to blatchat.com and see the friendly response i got LOL, seriously in all fairness some of the chaps are great, sum…….. well mom told me if you cant say anything good, don’t say anything at all.  Shame some of their mamas didn’t teach them the same.

Good luck, oh and get yourself along to the westy factory if you can, I only wish I could afford new, as id love a busa, but with 12k I need to save a little more.

What you looking for andy?

I'm after a SEiGHT for about £10k, or less if possible. I'm not too bothered about age, mileage or the exact engine spec - they don't seem to rust, and the Rover engine is designed to last for ages powering a Land Rover after all.

I still have the Scooby for those days when I care about comfort or refinement (!;) - the Westy is purely a toy, so it's performance on a budget that I'm looking for. If I can't find a V8 in time for the summer, I'll settle for a 2.0 Zetec or Vauxhall lump and then trade up over winter.

Andy.

I still have the Scooby for those days when I care about comfort or refinement (!;)

Ha, comfort in a scooby! Maybe from the weather but the ride in my Westfield is significantly more comfortable than my UK Scooby ever was.