SVA help

voyager

ok i have ordered my first kit and decided to go bike power etc etc, my question is this,

to get SVA i am led to belive that you are allowed only 1 second hand reconditioned part gearbox, engine, diff etc

with bike power engine and gearbox are a single part so if everything else is new apart from engine/gearbox will i still be eligible for the SVA, the red tape and paperwork is starting to freak me out i have been building hot rods and drag cars for years and never had these problems.

what is the advantage of a new plate over a 'Q' plate anyway it dont make it go any faster or handle any better and anyone who may buy the car should be more interested in the spec and quality of build than on the prefix on the plate,

ok rant over, :sheep:

You appear to be in some confusion.  SVA has got nothing to do with how many new or  refrubished parts you used, but registration does. SVA checks that the car conforms to regulations such  as emmsions , noise and the safety and conformity of the vehicle for use on the road..

Whether you get a new, age related or "Q" plate does depend on the age and condition of the parts used.  If you trawl through other postings you will find plenty of stuff  on registration as well as tips on obtaining the registration of your choice.  My personal opinion is, it aint worth the hassle to avoid a "Q" plate.  It goes just as well and is as much fun to drive whatever the registration  :D

Check out the SVA and registration sections of our web site

i agree with you, yes i did get SVA and registration mixed up, but like you i dont think its worth the hassle just to avoid the Q why does everyone worry about current reg ? is it a value thing or is it just a reward from dvlc for jumping through all the hoops they hold ???? :sheep:

Current reg numbers can be swapped for private/cherished numbers, Q plates can't. FWIW, you can (I believe) get a Q plated car swapped to a current reg, as long as you jump through some more hoops.

I thought I'd seen somewhere that since the new reg system came in you now can swap a Q for an age related plate so long as you can prove the age of the oldest component (not sure how easy that would be though).

• 2 months later...

i'm glad some one else is scratching the grey matter over avoiding q plates without breaking the bank.  I want to fit a zetec ( ease of tune etc) ( and have chassis to prove it).

The best I have come up with so far is to pick up a 2.0l DOHC sierra and use the diff and MT75 gearbox and bin the engine(7" too tall anyway) for a new engine ( pain full in the pocket:( ).  However if you could register the car by the oldest main part ( like the age on a 10 age specific malt whisky if I am not mistaken) then my problems would be solved.

The DVLA website does not yet offer any such joy though.