16v Vxl into Westfield

16vastra

ello all. checked out a few previous posts and can see its possible to put a 20XE in, but i just wanna know how hard it is, any unique pitfalls etc

got the engine in the astra already, just need summat lighter to make use of the engine (spec at http://www.16vastra.com by the way, its not too shy)

anyone got a ballpark figure of a bare rolling westie shell and parts needed to install the engine? DIY build is fine, there's no rush :p

Speak to SBD in Surbiton, they help loads of people with Vx engines in their Westfields and are reckoned to be pretty good - their website is on the Links page  :cool:

anyone wanna shock me with a rough price for a westie without an engine?  :D  :t-up:

do i need a shallow/dry sump? remote oil filter? all bumps the cost up :(

Yes, a shallow wet sump would be needed, and I think you may also need a remote oil filter.

As for the rough price of a Westfield without an engine, best bet is to speak to the factory and discsuss it with them.

Bear in mind that the following uprated parts can be sourced elsewhere :

Front brakes - if you're going for decent power, better brakes would be a good idea.  Try Wilwood kit from Rally Design - www.raldes.co.uk - (but bear in mind they don't always fit the Westfield aluminium hubs without some tweaking of the upright - depends on the kit).

Quick rack - Cat Motorsport - www.catmotorsport.co.uk

Wheels - take your pick, but 13" wheels and tyres are lighter and cheaper that 15" rims

Tyres - see above

Screen - if you don't want a full windscreen (which means you need a heater to get through SVA and sidescreens to cut down on buffeting) then consider aeroscreens.  You can sometimes pick these up second hand but Tim Duncan - www.just-the-one.net - makes some aeroscreens specifically designed to fit a wide-bodied Westfield.  Well worth a look.

Diff - you can pick up a second hand Sierra diff from most scrap yards.  Current Westfield chassis have the diff carrier designed for the wider (7 1/2") Cosworth diffs but Westfield do spacers if you want to fit the normal Sierra diff.  Probably worth looking out for a limited slip diff - about £100, maybe a bit more if you get the complete back axle from a Sierra 4x4 with the calipers attached.

Radiator - VW Polo rad - 1.1 to 1.3 litres (1983 to 1990).  About £50.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Cat Motorsport are also doing some lovely ally 4 pot calipers that, unlike the Willwoods/AP's and Bremsport items, have dust seals. They have been designed as a straight swap for the Cortina brakes, so no extra aggro is entailed when you want to fit them.

Seconded about the CAT 4pot calipers - if only Andy could get some to me I'd be even happier ;)

Alloy hubs are worth fitting as they save pounds in unsprung weight but try to use Cortina uprights as they are cheap and the Westfield alloy ones are virtually the same weight

also, the VW Polo rad is £39+vat and another £4.95+vat for the cheapest thermo switch to plug the hole from German & Swedish Car Parts (bought one yesterday)  :p

refreshing change to see an affordable LSD, mine is £550!

brakes are a must yeah, looking at wilwood 4pots, but like the sound of seals :0

vw polo rad eh lol didnt know that. no problems with overheating?? running an 82 degree stat in the engine now and it copes fine, but the larger rad must help - with throttlebodies the engine does run a tad hotter than standard so i need cooling and i was thinking of a bespoke coppercore type thing (not that i am flushed with cash, this is a longterm project as the astra shell falls apart around the engine :p)

cheers, uselful info there :t-up:

ok, so now the typical newbie question...anyone else got a 200 odd bhp XE westfield? what sort of weight is it and how fast is it (ach, come on you knew i was gonna ask ;))

I'm sure I know some-one with a car like that.............. :D  :D

Oh yeah, me................

Westfield SEiW "race" chassis. Vx 2.0l 16v XE on Jenveys. DTA ECU, type 9 5 speed, 3.62lsd, 600kg's fully wet, and quite fast enough thanks.....I've never timed it with anything, and I've never lost to anything "quick" at the lights..............

It uses the Polo rad, and I'm guessing a 74 degree stat. Temp sits rock steady at 80 degrees, no matter what I do to it. I get the ususal rise in temp in traffic, but the fan works, so no worries there. Bog standard brakes are perfectly adequate IME, and I haven't fitted any special pads.

74 degree stat...i have a problem running that. friend of mine ran one for a bit and blew his engine to bits cos the oil was only luke warm  :0

he was also running an oversized oil cooler, that wont help lol

cracking looking car BTW 600kg, nothing like losing a couple of hundred Kgs to make a car faster :cool:

whats the dta like? i run mbe and like it, but a few mates are shopping around management wise.

cheers

Whats the DTA like?...............er..............it works.......I didn't map it or anything...............

I don't run an oil cooler.

You'd be hard pushed to find 25kg's "spare" on that car.......

You'd be hard pushed to find 25kg's "spare" on that car.......

ermm - Pot and black kettle sounding but I know where there's some spare -

in fact I could spare a tad more than 25kgs  :)  :D  :blush:

No-one mentioned the driver, Mark....... :p  :p  :D  :D

Just realised..............you callin' me fat.......... :D  ;)

lol i meant my astra is sitting at around 850 to 900 kg and is quick. 250kg less and its just funny :p

better get saving

Add in rear wheel drive, and your  :arse: 4" off the tarmac, with all that noise, and you'll be  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D for weeks..........