Complete Newbie Questions

DavidC

Okay, Uprights.

Are the cortina front uprights the only ones that will fit the westie suspension/wishbones?

I don't really know anything about cortinas, so here's a question or two:

1) would a cortina make a suitable donor car?

2) Is it RWD and which engine's do they have (X-flow?)?

Okay, that was really the same question twice, but hey  :p

Cheers

DC

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidC

• Blatman

• Matt Seabrook

• peterg

Cortina is not a suitable donor, 'cos all you'd need is the uprights.............unless you want the x-flow engine....

Cortinas are RWD, but that is all they had going for them.......

Are you buying a kit, or pre-owned car? It's not clear from the last questions..........

Not 100% sure on kit or pre-owned yet. I'm trying to find out as much about the build as possible, work out what costs I'm looking at.

I'd really like to build a kit, but I odn;t know if I'll have the time. That said, I don't know how fast I could build the car, I have been working on the Uni Formula SAE team for 3 years, and you'd be amazed how much of the car gets build in the last 48 hours before the unveiling each year.

Perfect qualifications for a future WSCC Speed Series driver  ;)  :D  :)  :cool:

It took me about three months to build mine just working on it on Saturday afternoons and Sundays when I had got over the hangover from the Saturday night.  :blush:

Matt, if after all the research (read: asking you lot questions) I think that I can build one that quickly, then I'll go for a kit.

The other thing is, my job is with Land Rover @ Gaydon. There's a healthy staff discount on ford parts, so there's another incentive to build the car myself.

When building the kits what are the parts that ppl seem to have the most problems with? Common problems that tend to take time to sort?

Don't do windscreens! Fiddly hassle with wipers, heater and lining the bl**** thing up. Plus you save weight. :t-up: That does mean you can't have wet weather gear, depends what you want from your car. You do need patience of a saint and at least one more helper for the job, it needs to be right or if you do have a roof, it might not fit.   :angry: Otherwise it is mostly straight forward but s***ty jobs depend on the spec you choose.

Stu.

When you say you need one more helper, I take it you're refering to fitting the windscreen?

I'd kinda decided on the 'no windscreen' option purely to make the SVA easier.

Another Q, if I get a Sierra as a donor, will an SEiW use the driveshafts with no modifications or will they require some butchering?

I'm currently thinking along the lines of building an SEiW with the Sierra pinto engine, get it on the road, then saving up the cash to put a really nice engine like the XE or 4AGE in there. Any problems with this that I should be aware of (apart from manifolds and ecus)

DC

If by "Any problems with this that I should be aware of (apart from manifolds", you mean that you realise they're on opposite sides of the engine from Vx/4AGE/Zetecs/bikes/x-flows, and would probably require a new body tub and bonnet to make a nice tidy swap, then yes, there would be few real pitfalls.......

Put the engine you want in at the outset. It WILL be cheaper..........

If you are going to change engines after it is built don’t fit a pinto the exhaust comes out of the drivers side and you will be left with a hole in the bodywork in you fit a Vx/Zetec or most other come fitted engines. You would be better fitting the correct engine from the off. As for drive shafts Westfield supply these with the starter kit all you will need are the lobro joints and fittings. :t-up:

b******* he just beat me!

Great minds think alike...................

Proof that my real name isn't Matt Seabrook :D  :D  :D

Evenin' Matt ;)

b*****k, when I said 'apart from the manifolds', I was just saying that I realised a different manifold would be needed.

I didn't realise the Pinto engine was the other way round tho. I'm glad I asked, cheers. Okay, on that note, have you guys got any good sources for engines, other than searching through scrappies? At the mo, the ones grabbing my attention the most are the Vauxhall and Toyota.

About aeroscreens. For the SVA, if there's no windscreen fitted, does there have to be any kind of air deflector fitted, of could I literally SVA a car with no winscreen, then fit it when I got home?

DC