Complete Newbie Questions

DavidC

David,

It's between Coventry and Warwick if I remember correctly, so you only need take half a day off from revising!   :D

Moom.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidC

• Blatman

• Matt Seabrook

• peterg

I have to say that i am pretty sure the satisfaction of building the car yourself is far greater than the time you have to wait to build it, and definately beats buying a second hand car and being able to jump right in!

I built my 1800 zetec between doing a year of mechanical engineering at UMIST and starting my industrial design degree at loughborough. It was a fantastic experience (even considering the endless ballache by sourcing most of my own bits) and definately one i would repeat.

go on, build one!

be very careful when comparing different engine options though as unusual inatallations may end up biting you in the ass!

cheers

JonnyBoy

Stoneleigh Agricultural Showground.

Just off the A46 near Kenilworth.

About 45 mins travel I would think

Clive

What the whole showground.......quite alot I should think but only about a tenner to get on the day.

Clive

Not very far (for you) it's the Royal Agricultural Showground, Stoneleigh, Warks

Sunday and Monday this weekend..... :cool:

Hi David,its a shame you could'nt shoe horn that Pug/Citroen engine in a Westie.I have the engine in my Citroen BX 16v(160 bhp-8 branch manifold,one for each valve),its a #### good engine.I've driven the car hard for the last five years and its still going strong.The BX can be picked up for peanuts and as you say,they respond very well to tuning...Just think you'll be the only one in the world with that engine in a Westie if you've got the b***s to do it.....good luck what ever your choise.

SORRY GUYS!I seem to have posted on the wrong page,very very sorry(too much rum/coke)(cant be arsed to type it all out again)sorry sorry sorry

Okay, here's a new one (for me to ask anyway)

I know that the SEW is live axle, and the SEiW is the IRS, BUT what are the actual physical differences between the 2 chassis?

Would it be completely impossible to upgrade a SEW to IRS at a later date?

I went to Stoneleigh today, and basically made up my mind. I'm not considering the Robin Hood anymore, and I can't afford a c@terham, so I'm def gonna go for a Westie. I just need to sort a budget now.

Cheers

DC

David, it is  nearly impossible to upgrade a SEW to a SEiW as there is a fair amount of difference between the two chassis. A lot of fabrication would be needed for suspension mounting points, diff etc. Saying that I am doing exactly this eventually!  :t-up:

Also I doubt very much wether the factory would be helpful with such a conversion (unless they were selling you another chassis of course-the other option) so it would mean careful measuring of another car for suspension mounting points and stuff.

Stu.