Spare Wheel

Robertio

The westie has a spare wheel on the back which it has to lug around everywhere.  I figured it must be there in case I get a puncture, it then struck me that in fact there is no wheel brace or jack  ???   Anyone else in this situation?

Two Obvious solutions to this problem:

1. Remove the wheel (I have a can of tyre mouse in the car anyway) and save the weight :) .

2. Find somewhere to locate a jack and wheel nut removing device, more weight :0

The only place I can think of for option 2 is inside the spare wheel?  Any other suggestions?

Will probably go for option 1, but curious if there are others in the same useless spare wheel situation  :p

Can't see the problem ???

I put the jack (scissor type, socket wrench and 2 sockets in a bin liner behind the passenger seat. There's enough room for this, a book, the mobile phone and some sarnies too.  :D

I would have even more room if I put the seat forward more but it's a drag adjusting the seat belts. Doesn't everyone do that? ? ?  ???

Once I realised the same thing, I bought a scissor jack from Westfield that comes in a nice bag and has the spring / shock absorber 'C' spanner with it as a bonus, and put it along with a torch and a small interchangeable head tool kit into the boot box.  I also installed two straps going widthways across the interior of the boot box using spare popper snaps and webbing with a clip for adjusting the length to keep them tied down tight in there.  This means that since I've gone to this trouble nothing will happen until the one day I leave home without them, when it will happen at the exact point when I am the farthest away from home!

...can't remember where I got the idea from but I fixed an alloy plate on the bottom chassis rails between the radiator and engine and then fixed a scissor jack and winder on it with heavy duty cable ties. A bit awkward to get at in a hurry but its out of the way and it's been there 5 years now ...touch wood !

I've got a scissor jack (from an old Rover I think) which hangs between the rear chassis members, underneath the fuel tank. The brackets are aluminium plate, riveted on, and an M12 bolt through the hole in the handle keeps it in place. Conveniently, a standard wheel brace is also approx M12.

Ian

I've got a scissor jack cable tied underneath the dash.  It wasn't until I'd thought about it that I realised that nice as this is to have there was no way of actually removing the wheel nuts!  I therefore purchased a multi-size wheel brace from Halfords and stuck it under the passenger seat.  This is however somewhat on the heavy side, so will look for a smaller/lighter option when the mood grabs me!

Simon

Large can of sealant and an AA card. (Or ring the other half to bring the jack and spare out)

Ditch the  wheel and save the weight!

Dave O.