Fitting Side Screens

Edo

Ok, trying not to go down the "to use, or not to use" road...

I am going to get some side screens, to make things a bit more bearable on the bits of motorway/dual carridge-way, - the car has never had these on before - will I need to put anything on the side of the windscreen, and how do they fix towards the back of the car - I can't see how they wouldn't flap about at the moment! Westfield have the kit on their site for 250 odd (I assume this is for 2) inluding the fixings.. Anyone got a better suggestion as to where to source these from - or even better selling some new or nearly new ones??

Ed.

I have a complete set of weathergear (Hood, hood frame,Side screens and a tonneau)  sat in my garage, unfortunatly its in Tan, although i'm told that the foliatec colour change spray would work on it.

They are the older style (square upper rear edge) not the newer style (rounded upper rear edge) side screens. They were fitted to my car when i purchased it and i was told that they were fitted in 96.

They are in pretty good condition.

If you are interested mail me of line

ChrisB

The windscreen pillars should have a couple of holes in them. The sidescreen has two metal rods on them that drop into these holes and allow the screen to be "opened" to let you into/out of the car.

The sidescreen is secured by a press stud inside the car. This press stud is the only thing stopping the screen "lifting" off. You would think it's not that secure, but I've not had any problems with it coming undone. As for someone stealing it...well, best not to think about that...

You may (will ?) have problems with the passenger side screen pushing in at high speed. It basically lifts at the front and then the back end is pushed into the car by the force of the air. On my car it does it above 80mph, other people have said anything above 60mph does it on theirs. The drivers side is OK becuase you are in the way so it can't get pushed it. Couple of fixes:

- always drive with a passenger

- add an extra strap near the front of the screen

- cable tie the front screen fixings to the pillar. This stops them lifting and is good to 120mph (tested :p )

- strengthen the rear part of the sidescreen to stop if flexing

The screens will reduce the buffeting from the side, but you will get buffeted from the back instead now. They are also not waterproof and spray tends to be forced through the front and also underneath due to low pressure inside car.

You should note that the newer sidescreens have a moulded lower half, to give you a bit more arm room. The older ones come straight down. If you drive with your elbow out of the car you might find the older screens a bit restrictive.

One last thing, you might also get a wear line on your scuttle if you have a contoured dash - very annoying with leather trim; and also the rear arches will get scratched, although this can be polished out.

I think the holes are there on the later cast alloy screen pillars but it looks from your avatar picture that you have earlier pillars. In that case, you might need to tap the side of the pillar and screw half of a hinge to it.

No doubt someone with this type of screen will be along soon to help. The new screen pillars effectively have the bottom half of the hinge cast into them.

Kevin

You don't tap the screen pillar, you drill through an attach the female part of the hinge with M5 bolts and nylocs.

If you want a shufty at mine Edo, let me know, and I'll pop round (any excuse). I have the later sidescreens and pillars, and they will fit the earlier pillars. They won't fit a narrow bodied car though. If I get a couple of days notice, and can also bring along the older type door for comparison.

Thanks all. Ordered the screens this morning from Westfield..

Blatman, thanks for the offer. Be good to meet up - still not seen your Green monster around yet!..

Ed.

I'm around (or at least I can be around) any morning this week, or some time Saturday or Sunday. I was going to swing by your gaff yesterday on the off chance that you'd in the drive way polishing or something, but in the end it was a bit later than we thought, and I wanted to get home to eat........

How come you avita dose not have the doors on Blatman I have never seen you car without the woosie attachments yet. :devil:  :arse:  :p

Smart  :arse:

I didn't take the picture. I got it off a web site somewhere when it was for sale. You'll also note it has the old exhaust :0

I really must get round to building a web site now that I have blatman.co.uk in my possession...........then I can host my own avatar and put up a more recent piccy :)

'sides my place to yours is a seriously long journey, and I can't hold my breath for 4 hours :p

Blatman (what is your real name by the way?!?)

I'm working from home tomorrow, although I have to take my (co.) car to AFN Audi by Gillette corner first thing, but should be back by around 10:00am. I'm in Osterley Gardens if you know where that is, or drop me a mail.. edward.owen@compaq.com

Ed.

Blatman is my real name............in cyberspace ;)

I read this too late today to meet up. Typical. Audi place on the A4 is opposite where I work. You must know the "local" TV company at Gillette Corner..............

I know Osterley Gardens, so if you're about tomorrow, I'll swing by.

I'll mail you a phone number.................