Diff Help!!

JamesD

Have been studying my Westy build manual and am slightly confused about the diif/driveshaft coupling.

In the build manual there appears to be a flange on each side of the diff into which the inbound lobro joint fixes. However on the diff I picked up from the scrappy these flanges are not present (i.e I can see the oil seals in the side of the diff).

a) Is this part included as part of the CV/Lobro kit from Westfield?

b) Should it have been part of the diff that I got off the scrappy?

As always, help from those wiser that myself always appreciated.

Regards,

JD :(

You got the wrong type you need the one with the flanges on the diff not the push in drive shafts, if you want LSD you need on from a XR4x4 or 2wd cossie diff ratio is 3.62 for track you want a 3.92 most 2ltr Sierra's have this ratio on the vin plate it will say axle type you need on with a "D" on the plate the best combination is the 3.92 ratio and the LSD from the 4x4 Phil Stewart at Road and race transmition's is one man to do the conversion for about £150+vat strip two and make one from the bits tel.01959 525105.

Paul.

Thanks,

Oh well I knew it was only a matter of time before I bought the wrong part. The diff I have is from a 2.0 1992 GLSI Sierra, and is a 3.62 ratio, but like you say it must be a push in drive type.

Back to the breakers to swap round methinks.

P.S Is it only the 4x4 that has these flanges or were other Sierras in the range blessed with these.

Regards,

JD  ???

Where are you in the country as I will be picking up a diff on MOnday/Tuesday and I only Need the internals so you could have the casing if it helps. How much did yu pay as my local breaker wants £25 for a diff and phill will rebuild it for £100 thats still a lot less than the prices from Westfield and others.

Paul.

Dunno what the score is as regards ratios, but most, if not all Granadas have the 'flange type' diff your looking for. They do come with or without LSDs, if my brain cell serves me correctly all Sierra/Granada 4x4s, Cossies, Granada 2.9i had LSD as standard. It is worth looking carefully at Granadas or Sierras with rear discs though because LSDs were sometimes fitted as an optional extra.     :t-up:

Good luck!

Stu.

Thanks for the offer but Aylesbury Autosalvage have agreed to take back the diff, and swap it for a 4x4 item as I thought that was what I was getting in the first place.

I have spoken to Phil at Road & Race and he is going to take custody of my diff and box at some point for reconditioning.

Cheers Guys,

JD