1600 x-flow 1990 se questions

studbuckle

i've just bought a 1990 se with 1600 (or 1700) x-flow

Question1: what gearbox have I got? it's a 4 speed with Reverse towards the driver and rearwards

Question2: I've read about catch tanks... I have a mineral water bottle wedged between the chassis and bodywork, should I have something better?

Question3: i'm running 185/70 r 13's what should the tyre pressures be and why is it understeering? is that a TADTS?

i'm sure there will be lots more questions after this weekend but that'll be a big help

Catch tanks............I prefer coke bottles, far superior.... :D

Catch tanks was covered recently (last seven days), so search the archives.

Understeering could be lots of things, including any, some, or all of:

Tyre pressures, front toe/camber, front or rear spring rates, front or rear damping settings, front or rear ride height, roll bar (if fitted) settings, tyre wear, tyre condition (ie are they old/hard/starting to perish.......) or too much or not enough right boot ;)

As a starting point, I'd put 20psi all round in the tyres (what are they, BTW), and see how you get on. When changing something, do one thing at a time, and make small changes. It's all in the method, you see....................

Gearbox sounds like a boggo 4 speed Ford item.

Why don't you know what size engine you have?

gearbox will be either Type 3 or Type E - type E was stronger.

Get the burton Power catalogue - it has pictures of all the ford boxes - you can then see which yours is.

www.burtonpower.com

Good place to get all Ford engine/box parts.

tyre pressures were down a bit low (16psi cold) and fronts are getting a bit worn and cracked. Got a brand new eagle NCT on the back so i'll look to rotate and add another one of those.

As for engine, it's registerd as a 1600 but as it's a recon block I and the guy i bought off presume it's a 1700

As for gearbox, it's a Type 3. according to pics of Burton site. Thanks