'92 car about to go through SVA

BRJ

Can anyone give advice on problems I may encounter on putting a '92 SE through SVA other than the norm.....

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Barry

Hi There,

In addition to the obvious things which are just as relevent to a new kit (protrusions, sharp edges, noise, emissions, brakes...), there are a couple of requirements which came in for SVA and which may have caused changes to the basic kits.

The ones to look out for are:

The mounting points of seat belts / harnesses, the locations of which are checked relative to the driver's seat for SVA.

The location of all lights and reflectors (especially the requirement for and location of side repeaters, fog and reversing lights).

Location (wiewing area) of mirrors.

Quality of warning light lenses and glass (technically doesn't have to be "e" marked but you may have to prove it is of equivalent standard).

Interior protrusions - some older instruments and switches may cause problems here.

Collapsible steering column. Westfield get around the requirement for this by stating that the car has been through low volume type approval which proves that, with the supplied steering wheel and boss, a collapsible column is not needed. This may not be the case for earlier models. Either way you'd probably need the later steering wheel with collapsible boss and padding.

Can't think of anything else offhand but I'd advise that you talk to the factory. They must have a list of items they've had to change for SVA.

Plenty of people have put cars on the road of this vintage so there are no real showstoppers at SVA. Maybe a few are lurking here and can bgive more useful info...?

Kevin

Kevin

Thanks for this.  Only thing that concerns me there is the seatbelt locations...  any ideas one the rules there.

Car was only really built last year so all SVA approved bits have been used.

Cheers

Barry

• 3 weeks later...

I put my 1989 SEi car through the SVA last year. (Antoher started not completed car), details

of the day can be found on my website

http://www.mattscar.co.uk

My car has the moutings for a three point harness as I suspect does yours, if you have

the standard 2 piece "sit on the floor" type seats then you should be fine (mine was)

Have a gander at my website and if you have any Questions then please just email me.

Regards

Matt

Barry.

Its worth finding out if there are still exemptions in place for older cars. I put my SEiW through 2 years ago (and passed), but because I could prove I purchased the chassis prior to some date in 1995 I was exempt from a lot of the external body examination.

I did however have a remark made about the top mounting heights of my 4-point harness. All I know is that it was a measurement made from the lower seat cushion and vertically to the height of the mounting point.

Quite by chance Demon Tweeks told me to pack repair washers under the top eyelets and this was understood to be purely a strengthening process. But I’m sure it helped achieve the lower permitted height in my case! Call Westfield or the proposed test center to see if they can give the measurement to you.

Neil

There was an exemption for cars built with chassis which were sold pre-SVA but I think it ran out at the end of 1999. I know cos I had to help my mate to rush his car (a DAX RUSH, fittingly!;) through the procedure in November 1999.

I think the exemption was only for the protrusions / sharp edges and a few other bits. He had to have the seat belt anchorages in SVA compliant positions, for example.

You'd be advised to look through an SVA manual before submitting it. I have a 2 year old one if that's going to help. Not sure if anything's changed since then.

Kevin