Oil for VX?

mattstead

Hi there, I recently got my 2L VX SEi and will eventullay be due an oil change. BrianM who sold me it (thanks Brian - I'm loving it ) had recently changed the oil, and used some top flight fully synthetic stuff costing megabucks (but if that's the right stuff, then it's worth it - right?).

I do mainly fast road, and will be doing and a track day once every 6  weeks. Can you give me any guidence as to the frequency of oil changes, reccomended brands for this engine, and also how much will I need (it has an oil cooler to fill as well). And finally, are the bigger names worth the extra, or should I just change more often?

Thanks,

Matt.

Matt,

Glad to hear youre OK with the car, the capacity with the large remote filter and cooler is 5.5 litres if not slightly more. You know my feelings on oil quality so Ill let someone else answer that, but I know I was prepared to pay the extra £25 or so per year to ensure the engine lasts. Cheers Brian.

Use the best you can  ;)  :D  :)  Its false economy to spend thousands on your engine and car then quibble at paying £25 to £30 for a can of oil, same goes for brakes and tyres.  ;)  :)  :cool:

I've always run mine (CVH) on Valvoline fully synthetic from new and oil gets changed every 3000 or once a year whichever is the sooner, as a matter of course.

The carpet is a bit grubby but the engine is spotless  ;)  :D  :)

If you have the foam baffle in the sump, do not switch between synthetic and semi/non synthetic oils. It is possible that the mixing of such oils will cause the foam to become brittle and break up. If it has synthetic, then use synthetic. If it has semi synth, then use semi synth. If synthetic, then Mobil 1 Motorsport 15w50 is the best oil for your engine, bar none.

Matt, should have mentioned that to completely change the oil you will have to drain the oil cooler separately, or you'll be only part changing it. Brian.

Valvolene 5W50 fully synthetic is the oil to use. £16 for four litres from Central Auto Supplies. I've used it for many years in the Westfield and its been very good. You must take your oil cooler off though - with it still fitted your oil will not reach a hot enough temperature to work properly and the engine will suffer premature wear (saves weight removing it also).

Windy

My view on this is slightly different. As a result of fitting the shallow alloy sump the oil capacity is vastly reduced. The presence of the cooler restores this prolonging the life of the filter and the oil. The car also has no heater so the water capacity is also reduced and the engine runs nice and warm, about 90-95C. No oiltemp sensor is fitted so its hard to precise on oil temp, but if it is judged to be too cool, what about blanking of the oil rad with a glued on sheet of plastic or something, thus reducing cooling effect but maintaining capacity?

Brian.

Brian,

How many miles do you do per year? As most Westfields rarely reach their oil change interval of 6,000 miles before the 12 months is up mileage is irrelevant to the oil change. I'd recommend you change the oil at least yearly ignoring the fact the mileage hasn't been reached. Periods of non use during the winter can soon degrade oil if it is left standing in the sump.

A fact for you to digest: 80% of engine wear occurs during the first few minutes of start up from cold. The sooner the oil reaches its optimum operating temperature the more the protection it will offer to your engine.

Regards

Windy