MegaBird?

moomin

Hello all.

I'm new.  Look forward to your warm welcome.

After a factory visit on Friday I am now very serious contemplating a MegaBird purchase.  Rather exciting I'm sure you'll agree, but are there any pitfalls?  I hear bad (scare?) stories about prop angles, reverse gearboxes, rear diffs, etc.

Anyone care to reassure me before I bottle it?

Thanks in advance

Moomin

(not a troll!)

Use the search function, and check the archives. There'll be a bit to read. There will also be a link somewhere to the BEC list on Yahoo, who are the fellas when it comes to bike power.

Thanks Blatman, you may have seen me lurking over on blatchat.  Maybe I've seen the light... ?!?  ; )

I've been trying to subscribe to said list, but a lethal combination of Yahoo and ntl are being a bit of a mare and making life difficult for me to join.

Moom.

The boxes can be a bit naughty but from what I've heard, if the're going to break they go quickly and the Factory will sort the problem out with speed :D

My box has lasted one summer and three trackdays with no problems, no vibration, not very much noise (and that only in reverse) and will only blow oil under dire provocation. The same with the props.

If you are doing the build and your worried, you may want to concider an electric system... cheaper, lighter and no drag.

But all in all you should be fine with a Westfield, both from the technical and service aspects.

Regards

John

The MegaBLADE Site

Thanks for the info John.

I will be doing the build myself, but would be surprised if Westfield will sell one without the reverse box will they?

If they will I will consider the electric reverse.  Can I find more info about that on the Yahoo BEC list? (still having problems subscribing due to ntl).

Anyway, I've _just_ bought the last* MegaBird!  WOOHOO!

* certainly the last of the current special offer, and Westfield are unsure whether they will be doing any more engines direct from Honda, it could happen though.

I think you'll be hearing more from me...  now where's the spec sheet...

:D

Great news, another BEC driver :D

On the leccy reverse.... Blackbird engineering do one for Blackbird engines oddly enough, so do Fisher cars. You can get the prop from BM (01480 216250 - Richard) for around £160 (which is cheaper than the Factory ones) and you just need to make up some plates to hold the centre bearing and I think the prop angles are kinder.

The Yahoo BEC group is a very good place to ask this type of question as more than one person has gone down this road.

So no more Megabirds? That'd be a shame.

Keep us informed about your build....

Regards

John

The MegaBLADE Site

thanks for the help to date... _plenty_ more questions where those ones came from!

will investigate the electric reverse option with Westfield.

I'm going to Curborough on 16th to try one out and start nailing down the spec.  can't wait to get things going now!

:)

Our XTR2 arrives in < 3 weeks.  :D

Westfield do supply an electronic reverse in the kit so maybe the same item will work with the megabird.

I don't have any ideas of the cost - its just part of our kit.

Ian.