WHICH ENGINE ???

wayno

RECENTLY BOUGHT A SEW 1600CVH,SPEAKING TO LOTS OF PEOPLE THEY SAY THESE ENGINES ARE A BIT OF A DOG?

SLUDGING UP AND POWER OUTPUT LIMITED. WHAT ENGINES

WOULD BE MORE SUITABLE, AND HOW EASY WOULD IT BE TO CHANGE OVER.

IVE GOT A 5SPEED TYPE 9 G/BOX AND LIVE AXLE.

I HAVE RECENTLY HAD A R/R TUNE AND THE GUY THERE SUGGESTED A VAUXHALL 1.6 16VALVE.

MY ENGINE WAS PRODUCING 90 B.H.P AT THE WHEELS I WAS

EXPECTING MUCH MORE !!!! ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT WAYNO ???

HI WAYNO,SOME PEOPLE DO & SOME PEOPLE DON'T.THIS IS MY FIRST WESTFIELD & I BUILT IT USING A CVH ENGINE.PORTED,POLISHED,LIGHTENED,BALANCED,KENT CAM,40 DCOE CARBS= 127 BHP.OK NOT MASSIVE I KNOW.BUT MY POINT IS ITS QUICK ENOUGH,ONCE I HAVE LEARNT TO HANDLE MY CAR WITH THIS BHP.THEN MAYBE A YEAR OR TWO MOVE ONTO SOMETHING A BIT QUICKER!!REMEMBER 90 BHP IN A WESTFIELD IS NO SLOUCH ANYWAY! ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE......

HOPE THIS HELPS

CHEERS

WILL :)

I've had a CVH in mine since it was built in 1990  :)  No it certainly ain't the quickest by any means  ???

But its got me to Le Mans and back 3 times two seasons of Speed Series and countless track days - and it hasn't broken down once  :D

I had my head worked with solid lifters and a cam last year by Ferriday www.ferriday.co.uk and ended up with 133BHP at the wheels.  :D

It does me and I enjoy it ....... would I like more BHP .... well the answer is YES PLEASE ...... but I would still remain in the up to 1800cc class in the Speed Series.  :)

SB Development are doing some sexy stuff with the VX 1.6 engine and its about 25kg (someone correct if im wrong) lighter than the 2.0 VX.

Why not contact them and have a chat.

www.sbdev.co.uk

Westy.

It depends on which CVH you have.  The earlier ones had a different valve chamber shape than the later ones and are slightly "hotter".  My early 1.6 CVH is bog standard apart from the 40DCOE's, no polishing, Kent cams, or any of that (yet? :D  ) and it's got 126 BHP at the wheels with 110 ft lbs torque.  More, it's absolutely reliable.  Had the valve cover off recently and it looks like brand new in there.  Never let me down.

Good advice to keep it for now and run with it.  You can tweak it to get about 150 BHP out of it or so.  Depends what you want out of the car.  Blasts in the country and the odd track day, fine.  Serious track days and hill climbs and the like - swap it for something else.

Capt'n,

Just to avoid misleading any of the 'newbies', I can state that a 1.6 CVH with standard head & cam plus twin 40's certainly won't give anything like 126bhp at the wheels.

126 at the wheels would equate to about 150 at the flywheel.

I guess 95 at wheels or 110 at the flywheel.

Just trying to help! :)

• 4 weeks later...

1.6 CVH, never had a problem with mine apart from a cam change a year ago, one of the lobes on the cam wore so had a lot of pops and gurgles on the overrun from acceleration from unburnt fuel and a loss of power. Had a Kent fast road cam fitted alongside a ported head and twin 40's gives me about 133 BHP and sounds great.

Sure it's not the most powerful out there but still great fun, long live the CVH

Capt'n,

Just to avoid misleading any of the 'newbies', I can state that a 1.6 CVH with standard head & cam plus twin 40's certainly won't give anything like 126bhp at the wheels.

126 at the wheels would equate to about 150 at the flywheel.

I guess 95 at wheels or 110 at the flywheel.

Just trying to help! :)

Hmmm... maybe the person I got it from forgot to tell me about some work he did to it! :0  I did get 126 BHP genuine at the wheels when I took it to a top rolling road in December (and the paperwork to prove it), no mistake.  I certainly didn't mean to mislead on the "standard" thing, but there's no paperwork that says he changed the cam or anything like that.  Yet another mystery begins...  thanks for the info. :D

I've got a 2.1 Vulcan Pinto with a Type 9 box and live axle.

It's got plenty of grunt.

Might be worth a thought?.