1 st track day

david.c

That picture was sent to me by Jonathon Rarity from the Sevens list IIRC, basically to ram home the need for the RAC bar if you are planning a lot of trackdays / hilclimbs / sprints.  It looked to have been a horrific accident and the driver is lucky to be alive though I know he was very seriously injured.

Having said that, I believe the accident was on a road (I think) so just because you're not tracking your car I would STILL fit the RAC bar.  Mine only cost me £180 from Westified.  It's not a lot when you think about it.

Since then I have seen a tin top go over at a track day.  It had a roll bar but not a cage.  The bar held up, everything in front did not and the driver suffered a broken neck.  He was wearing a helmet also and there was an ambulance on site so it could have been worse.

All very sobering stuff that makes a full cage a very tempting propersition.  Why don't Westfield make one?  Saying that I think they might for a SEiW but not the SE :(

No, they don't make their own cage.

And everyone else needs the car so they can tailor-make a cage to fit.  I believe Graeme Finlayson is getting a cage made for his SEi so maybe he can give you an idea of cost, hassle, etc.

I believe so - in fact I think that's what one bloke I know did with his car.  I'm trying to find some piccies of it to give you an idea.  I'll post the link to his site when I've found it.

Nick

Roll cages are a b***h to find for Westfields. As things stand, there is currently no set cage manufacturer. Westfield themselves have made a few (seen them on a few hillclimb cars, gallery here) but they don't seem to make them anymore.

Possible places to get a cage made are actually quite limited, Safety Devices made Ed Haslers cage (www.interstellar.co.uk/html/interstellar.html) at a serious price. Rollcentre didn't seem to keen.

My car is currently getting a cage fitted in preparation for Barbados by Custom Cages/R&D. They've made a couple before, not the prettiest of cages (ie. nothing like a Superlight cage) but very, very strong and well made which is the foremost consideration.

I've got mine spec'd as a bolt in cage (so we can swap it between cars), full detachable cross-members/petty struts, branching off the rear RAC stays, made in T45 (much lighter than CDS). Custom job, powder coated with some extra bars.

Should come in around £900inc VAT. I'll post some photos when it's done, we should see it back in a week or so.

Don't be wooried about track days, I've done thousands of miles over several years and enjoyed them all.

The most frightening thing is to be finally dragged into the 21st century and getting into this internet stuff - This site is excellent - I think I'll be here for some time

Oh I'm not worried about trackdays as that is the main use for the car.  It's just that I didn't feel comfortable pushing it before I had the RAC bar.  The fact that my head protruded a couple of inches above what little protection it offered made me nervous.

I feel much safer with the RAC but it is still not like having a full safety cage around you.  

For example, take a look at this picture.  Now if I was a short A*** like my passenger, I would have no issue.  But if you draw an imaginery line from the top of the bar to the top of the chassis at the front of the car you will see that my dome is still probably in a safish area but with a very small gap.

As I say, it would just make me feel better, I'm not saying everybody should go out and cage up thier Westies.

• 3 weeks later...

O.K. so you've got me really worried about my roll bar, it it currently a '94 chrome 90 degree corner job, with no rear bracing.

1. does the RAC one come chromed..I can't see it listed on westfields site?

2. Where does it mount for its rear brace?

3. can I still fit my hood unmodified?

4. 'may seem sick but any photos of an RAC bar after a roll?

5. Should I just give up now, sell the car, build a dedicated track car with a full cage..I've only waited six years to get a westy, but if I'm going to be too worried to use its full potential...etc,etc.

???

1. does the RAC one come chromed..I can't see it listed on westfields site?

Don't know.  They asked me if I wanted mine powder coated so it may be an option or you may be able to get it done yourself...

2. Where does it mount for its rear brace?

On my narrow SE they mount to the chassis on either side of the fuel tank.  If you have a look there should be some brackets there that it just bolts to.   Another thing is to get the one with removable rear stays as it is much easier to fit.

3. can I still fit my hood unmodified?

Unlikely I'm afraid.  The bar is around three inches taller than the standard hoop.  Mine doesn't fit and I still haven't got around to getting it modified to do so.

4. 'may seem sick but any photos of an RAC bar after a roll?

I haven't but with it being an RAC approved bar it should stand up very well.

5. Should I just give up now, sell the car, build a dedicated track car with a full cage..I've only waited six years to get a westy, but if I'm going to be too worried to use its full potential...etc,etc.

Mostly it's just down to my own paranoia.  The likelyhood of turning over a Westie is very low as it is itself very low.  But it can happen as shown further back.  I've known of a c******m go over at a trackday also.

As for selling the Westie, don't do it!  They're dead easy to fit though you will probably have to do some modification to the boot box (I just ditched mine and fitted an ali panel in it's place).  Still the most fun car on track that I've ever driven.