Nasty sound from my engine!!

heawooi

:(  :(  :(

I have a nasty metaly type sound coming from the top of my engine, I have a 2L pinto and thought it was coming from the cam belt cover (something catching) so have taken it off everything looks ok no scuff marks on the inside and the sound is still there. If i take the oil filler cap off there is oil being pumped up to the top of the engine.

One thing that is puzzeling me is if I start the car the sound is not there but blip the throttle taking the revs over 2.5k and it starts and dosent disappear.

Anyone got ideas what it could be before i go attacking the beast??

might be the tensioner on the cam belt rattling around.

An old trick to locate exactly where a sound is coming from in an engine is to use a large screwdriver - press the tip on the an area to listen, and put the handle against your ear - obviously need to take care not to get yourself caught up in the fan belts and stuff - but it will certainly help you attain exactly where the sound is coming from - which will help narrow down the prossibilities

good luck

Cheers

Chris

Start with a screwdriver pressed to your ear as suggested. If that doesn't help then.................

If you've recently adjusted the cam belt, I'd suspect it was over tightened and you are stressing the front cam bearing.

Otherwise, check the alternator pulley bearings, and the water pump (is it over heating?) by removing the fan belt, and using a short "emergency" fan belt to run one of them at a time. Bear in mind that you shouldn't run with either the alternator or the water pump not being "connected" for too long. Disconnect the water pump first, and from cold.........

Cheers for the help guys, I'll be trying to leave work at a decent hour today to give the screwdriver trick a go this evening.

Ian

well wouldn't u know started the engine, let it get warm (didn't take it out as it was chucking it down with rain) then blip'd the throttle ....no nasty noise. Did it again .....no noise, took it up to 5K then 6K no noise.

I hope to take it out this weekend to make sure, but not a clue what it was/is/could have been!!

Ian