Reconditioned engine or straight from scrappy

Pembroke Pat

Should I get an outwardly looking ok engine/gearbox/diff from scrappy and put it straight in to an SEi or should I just get a reconditioned engine.  Is it a waste of time or is it vital? ???

p.s. I am trying to get hold of an acceptable 1.8 or 2.0l Zetec.

Personal opinion?  Depends on how much you like pain and gambling!  IMHO, get the lowest mileage engine you can from the scrappie. Before you buy it, pull the plugs and check 'em for colour, etc., check the block for oil and coolant leaks and damage, then do a compression test on it if possible.  If all OK, when you get it home, drop the sump and check the bearings, and lift the rocker cover and check under that.  If still OK, install.  Transmission depends on mileage, but I'd be inclined to get a rebuilt unit personally, based on the amount of hassle of taking it back out if it was duff just after I put it in!

Undoubtedly someone will now tell me I'm a moron for these opinions, but it's what I would do based on experience. :durr:

Good luck!

:D I think that I agree with you about the hassle of having a lump of useless metal stuck under the bonnet.  However how much would you expect to pay for a reconditioned engine over one fresh from a scrappy?

I'm using an engine from a scrappy - in Japan!  There is a view that if a modern engine is OK you are best off not disturbing it.  Your at least as likely to have trouble after its been disturbed as before.  If the engine's reasonably clean plus all the other checks mentioned above I'd risk it.  At least you know you can whip it back out in no time if it turns out to be a lemon.

I dont think that a new engine from Ford is that much more than a recon engine. Ask your local Ford dealer for a price. Good recone units will be about £1000.00 and if you do not have a old unit to return they will charge you a surcharge could be £250.00 aprox. These engines are very reliable and only realy play up if they have been cooked. Part of the lower hose in the Ford is steel and this can rust through and bar-b-q the engine. Just make sure you get a low mileage engine that has not been over heated.

I gambled on the engine I aquired, as budget was a major consideration. I took months over finding the right car (I'm fitting a 2l pinto), eventually I found an elderly couple selling their F reg Sierra for 250 quid only 78k on the clock (MOT cert's to back this up) ran pretty good too :D .

Just to be sure I did the checks recommended above and all seems ok, only time will tell.

It is my intention that once through the SVA. to get so extra power for it.

I'll let you know whether its ok ok or dumps the oil 10 miles down the road, some lessons can be harsh :( .

scotty

i bought  a shagged engin from the srappy to do up but it costed £250 to buy then the gasket set/piston rings/big end shells main shells timing chain & shoe cost £1000's but i hope this will last years i have use the replacement ones from ford and they have been S*** hot they come with plugs oil filter new cam belts water pump and a sump of oil job done

and some sort of Guarantee

jamie