First westie

Pembroke Pat

I am considering building my first Westie and would like to know what sort of space do you need ( in garage ) to comfortably build your westie?  I have plenty of space on the drive way but down in Pembrokeshire it is windier and rainier than most places so I'd rather keep most of the work inside.

I've got one of those new style "single" garages.... i.e. you would never fit a normal car in one.

It is painfully tight, but it is possible to build a car in it (I'm on my second build!;).

The only problem being that it is too easy to scratch up the bodywork as you keep squeezing past with tools in hand.

Thanks.

Well, I am planning to go up to Westfields the Friday after next. So one step at a time.  

Do you have a bench in your garage or do you work off a workmate.  I have been busy throwing all of the crap out of the Garage, prepping the floor and painting the walls as well as adding additional power points.

Any other tips for getting the right work environment?

I bought one of B&Q's finest (read "cheapest") benches. Made of some sort of balsa/pine "alloy" which is about as sturdy as a chocolate fireguard, and as useful, too.

Worth getting a bench of some sort, even if it's only to act as a base to clamp your vice to.

Buy more lights.

No matter how many you have, buy more.

Screwfix.com do a good deal on halogen flood lamps (either on little floor brackets, or tripods).

If you have room, put some small hooks in the celing to hang the bodywork from to keep it out of the way whilst you are working on the mechanicals.

Ross

p.s. where abouts in the country are you? There is probably a westie builder nearby who can show you some useful tools to get, or storage ideas.

I'm down in Pembrokeshire as the name suggests.  A local(ish) contact would be very useful.

Thanks for the comments esp. re lighting ( one 60 watt bulb probably wasn't going to be enough :D ).

I've only got a modern single (ie pokey) garage and managed ok. Probably means about 2ft each side of finished car and 6ft at the end.

I recommend a bench, I built one across the end of my garage out of 4x2 (2x4 for USA visitors) and MDF secured to the walls with those special 6inch nail/screw things. You can see it at the back in this photo:

03.jpg

Step ladders and garden equipment are optional, but white walls and 4x5ft tubes help a lot.

Mike

I built mine in a std 16' x 8' precast concrete garage and i built a wooden carriage on heavy duty castors so i could move the whole thing around and maximise the working space,

i kept it on there till the engine was in and the body on, it worked fine for me, just leave the wheels off till you are ready to drop it (not literally)   :0

Mike H - You lucky, luck batsrad! That garage is far bigger than mine!  :p

Pat, if you ever find yourself on the correct :) side of the severn, I'm in Bristol, feel free to pop in.

Ross

MDF wheels save loads of space before the body goes on I left a deposit on the body and had it made when I was ready for it instead of storing it myself.

Paul.

I've just bought an SEW kit and I am going to collect it on the 16 March. I live in Carmarthen which isn't to far from Pembrokeshire. If you want to get in touch feel free.

I am still having difficulty in deciding on an engine gearbox combo.

I was going for a zetec and MT75 but have decided that the way to avoid a Q plate is to buy an engine gearbox from the same vehicle. Is this correct?

I was thinking about a DOHC 2litre sierra and MT75 what's the opinion on this.

Any help very much appreciated.

Peter.

I am looking at a zetec and MT75.  I don't know about avoiding the Q plate ( I shall ask when I go up to westfields).  Thanks for the invite.

Thanks everybody for help re garage requirements

Either buy from the factory or make some chassis stands, 'modify it' with some brackets then using lengths of 2"x4" as a frame put some heavy duty 'trolly' wheels on and then you can push the whole thing around AND even work out side on good days.

This is what I did and it worked a treat.

Regards

John

The MegaBLADE Site

Without meanting to start this thread off in a whole new direction (there are other threads that cover it in more details), there are three types of registration:

'Q' plate

New plate

Age Related plate

Default for a kitcar built from second hand parts is 'Q'.

If all second hand parts are sourced from a single donor vehicle (Sierra, in this case), and the rest are new, you can get an age related plate. This means a plate with the same prefix as the donor car. (remember to keep the log book)

If no more than one major part is second hand (i.e. engine OR gearbox OR diff OR brakes), then you can get a brand new registration.

RE: Sierra DOHC engine

There do not appear to be many tuning options available for this engine, or engine mounts available from Westfield.

Using a Zetec or Vx would prove better for future upgrades.