donor car

neo

Hi ive been offered a Granada 2.0 injection ghia 89 G REG  for £50 and its only covered 63.000 miles its a SOHC pinto with 5 speed manual box,mechanically spot on i was wondering whether its going to be worth getting, as i am after a SEIW kit and want to use the pinto engine for tunability and mainly cost for now,do you think its worth getting for the few parts that i would use,what parts could i use on a westy build from the Granada would be more the question.are the rear calipers for Granada's the same as the sierra ones does anyone no as the wheels are 5 stud ?? ??? just as well there is a newbie forum for us novices cheers :t-up:

Sorry, more a case of no idea I'm afraid.

One thing to bear in mind is that with the Pinto engine the exhaust exits on the driver's side of the car.  Only other engine to do that is the Cosworth derived ones as all the others (Vauxhall, Xflow, Zetec, K series) all exit on the passenger side.  Might be an issue if you ever decide to junk the Pinto in favour of something else.

If you're after a cheap engine then a Zetec is cheap and readily available from scrapyards and has more potential for power than a Pinto.

As for the donor car, the gearbox and diff should be salvagable.  And *maybe* the brake calipers, but you'd need to check them.  I suppose for £50 it's worth it for those bits.

Just a thought.

The Pinto, it's down to you really, lower cost, tunable, but heavy. Not sure of the gearbox in the Granada, but the joints and brakes should all be usable if they are in reasonable condition, 63K miles I would think so. You may be lucky with the diff. I got mine off a Granada 2.0 injection and it was the smaller cased unit and 3.9 ratio (which is the one you want).  Only a case really on how you get rid of the shell :0 . That could cost you a bit!. But if it is £50 to dump it. it is still cheaper than down a scrappy. plus all those fixings, clips etc. if they are in good nick.

good luck!

After pricing the diff and shafts etc its deffinatly alot of money saved getting this granada donor and i have found its also got a pair of new rear calipers on it as well still shiny gold (lucky or what) :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D