which g/box is which

neo

How can you tell the difference from the type 9 ford 5 speed against the MT 75 ford 5 speed, i have noticed that the reverse gear on one of them is next to 1st and the other is under 5th with a pull up handle on the gear lever, or are these discriptions totally wrong,and which ones which, and which fits to the Zetec engine the best? ???  ??? any advice would be a bonus. :t-up:

Hi There,

The type 9 has separate castings for the bell housing and the gearbox body, ie the bell housing bolts on. The MT75 is a single casting. The MT75 has a webbed effect over the outside surface of the casting, presumably to add strength whereas externally, the case of the type 9 is relatively smooth. I think the MT75 casing is aluminium whereas the type 9 is cast iron..?

The MT75 has reverse under 5th gear.

The selector shaft on the MT75 comes out of the back of the gearbox as a single shaft above the propshaft coupling which connects to an externally mounted linkage and then through a bush to the gear stick. I think the type 9 has the shaft enclosed in a pipe.

The propshaft flange on the MT75 is a 3 pronged affair which connects to the propshaft using a rubber donut coupling whereas the type 9 has a spline on the propshaft which slides into the gearbox.

Hopefully that will give you some info. I'm confident about the MT75 info as I've got one. If someone can confirm I haven't been taking complete rubbish about the type 9 then you should be sorted.

I think the MT75 was fitted to the later Sierra, specifically the ones with the DOHC 2 litre and V6 engine and to some Granada / Scorpio models and also the Transit.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

... and to answer your other question.

The Westfield Zetec kits are normally designed for the MT75 gearbox although the type 9 will also fit a Zetec with no problems.

As to pro's and cons, the MT75 is reckoned to be lighter and stronger than the type 9 in standard form although this is just what I have read. The type 9 is a little more compact and the main advantage of the type 9 is that there are much more options for upgrading, changing ratios, etc.

The type 9 also has the removable bellhousing so it's relatively straightforward to purchase a bellhousing to fit a vx engine shouldyou wish to go that route in the future. With the MT75, you're pretty much stuck with Ford engines.

The MT75 is also much rarer and more expensive to find. I'd say that if you've got a donor with either gearbox there's no problem with using it. The MT75 will be fine for road use and occasional track driving but if you get serious about racing you'll be better off with the type 9.

I would imagine Westfield could make up a chassis with the Zetec engine mounts and type 9 gearbox mounts and type 9 propshaft if you'd rather use the type 9 gearbox and zetec engine.

Kevin

cheers for that kevin, the donor i had in mind was a 2 inj pinto granada,which has a type 9 gearbox and new rear calipers,and i can have it for £50 the gear box is spot on as well in it,is the diff the same as a sierra one as i heard something about you have to modify the granada one in some way any ideas, thanks  :t-up:

I have used a T9 box (BGH Geartech) with 2.0 Zetec in my build last year.  You have to specify that you are using a T9 when you order the kit and they put a T9 mount rather than MT75.  You can still use the wide tunnel set-up which has the ZETEC in the correct position but you have to chop a piece out of the bellhousing near the starter motor.  This chassis set-up is I believe what the ZETEC racers use.

Regards

My chassis is a full blown class A racer and came with wide tunnel and T9 Gearbox mounting for the MT75 I belive you can just use a spacer which you have to make yourself You do have a lomp of bellhousing to chop off its the bit that's the mirror image of the starter motor.

Paul