Buying a second hand unbuilt kit

TinyBloke

All advice welcome,

I found for sale an unbuilt 1996 SEi with 1.7 Xflow, MT75, diff, wheels etc. Apparantly it has everything but the loom and the interior.

Are there any considerations that I need to be aware of?

I'm thinking of SVA regs - has the design changed since 1996 which may mean it won't meet today's regs?

What about ease of finding the loom to fit. From what I've read, these things should be straight forward, but before I part with my hard-earned (i.e. load the credit card with another magic cheque!!!;) I want to make sure I haven't missed anything. I don't want to end up with more junk in my garage!

Also, what's a fair price?

Cheers,

Tb

Would this be the car advertised on the Autotrader website? I guess it is cos the one I found hasnt a loom or interior kit!

I phoned the guy was asking for £3295 for this 1996 SEiW unbuilt kit. Is this normal? I thought is sounds quite cheap for what it is. The engine is balanced, polished 1600 bored out to 1720 xflow, with twin 40s.

It is in Slough (I am near Liverpool) so it is a long way to visit!

I was also concerned about SVA.

Any advice (for me & TinyBloke) appreciated

Hi There,

There are bargains to be had in terms of buying part finished kits but also potential pitfalls.

It's really only possible to assess each "project" on its own merits so I would be tempted to say go and have a look at it and, if possible, take someone along who has already completed a car, put it through SVA, etc. as they will spot the snags much more easily than someone who hasn't been through that process. I am assuming that this will be your first Westie.

I would have thought most of the SVA issues would mean relocating seat belt mountings, tidying up any protrusions, etc. Nothing too worrying. Make sure that the kit is complete, though, or that any missing parts can still be obtained from Westfield.

Kevin

Hi Tom,

He said a chap was coming from Liverpool to see it - hence he wouldn't take my offer!! I did go in very low, and the kit does look good, but to be honest, I wasn't really ready to buy - unless I could get a REAL bargain. It was close to where I live, so it was no hassle to pop along. He's done loads of work to get it ready, lots of shot blasting and some engine work - but beware: by "no interior" he means no screen, wipers, fuel tank etc etc. Also, it's been stored over his painting baking booth - not sure what that would have done to the plastic body shell over the years. Still reasonable tho'.

Long trip for you tho: Let me know if you buy it. If not, I might give him another call.

Good luck!

Tb

I didn't say I'd go & look at it. I said I'd have a think & a chat to you lot first about whether it was sensible! I am not planning to visit cos work & life is too busy for the moment.

There must be someone else going to visit him from the the Liverpool area.

You could give him a ring again Tiny bloke