Flat batteries

Phil_G

OK, a bit of a simpleton question...... but how long should a battery keep it charge?  I last used the car in November, and should I expect the battery now to be flat (note it had been on a charger prior to its last use)

Also since you all seem to like jokes.....

bloke goes to the doctors with a bit of lettuce sticking out of his rear....

"Oh my God", exclaims the doctor, "this is a major problem."  In fact, I think we are just looking at the tip of the iceberg"

Hi Phil,

The answer is, it depends. Batteries do lose their charge gradually over time and a battery in excellent condition stored in ideal conditions should have no problem starting an engine after a few months.

The problem is, if you have any current draw from the battery (alarm, immobiliser, etc), this can get significant over a long period like this. Also, it depends on temperature. Lower temperatures reduce the amount of charge a battery can store so if it's been below zero for most of the winter it'll be worse off.

The other point is that the battery in a Westie is physically small and generally called upon to start a fairly big engine whereas the average tin top will have a more generously rated battery. This means the battery has to retain a higher percentage of charge in order to successfully start the engine.

I think the best thing to do when a car is laid up is to either put the battery on charge for a few hours each month or to leave it connected to a small trickle charger continuously.

If you let a battery completely discharge and don't charge it up again promptly, it is unlikely to recover.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

I left my battery connected to my speedsport during the build, and even though I havn't got an immobiliser fitted yet, the battery was flat inside of 2 weeks.

I now leave it connected to a battery conditioner.

For the last 6-7 years I have been using a battery conditioner for my motorbikes, my boats and more recently my Westfield  :p  I use a thing called an Optimate which is available from most good motorbike shops (about £40) but Race Technology now do one for £25 which seems just as good  click here   :cool:

The Race Technology one is great - but it only has small crocodile clips on it.  Fine for a Red Top 30 battery but a pain for ones with normal terminals.