VX or Zetec?

mattstead

Sorry if this is question is as old as the ark, or Live axle Vs IRS, but I'm looking for a mainly road with occasional track outings SEI; should I go for the Vauxhall or Zetec engine? I heard that the zetec was a bit erm, well, slow...based on power per pound spent on a secondhand car. Will I have a more tourqey, faster westy with the VX for the same price? How does the handling differ? I've driven a VX hpc c******m, and a k series c******m (sorry to keep saying the "C" word ) and prefered the added grunt of the VX over the advantages of the lighter K series....is this the sort of difference I will get?

Thanks,

Matt.

The general concensus on this seems to be that for tuning potential you can't beat the Vauxhall but in some respects the Zetec is an easier option for a new build.

Zetecs are now more plentiful than the VX engine, they fit Ford gearboxes without having to adapt the bellhousings / clutch and so on.

I'm not sure if you're considering a new build or buying built. If it's the latter, shop around for a VX engined car as it's ultimately the better engine. If you're doing a build you need to ask yourself whether out and out power is your objective or whether you'd be happy with 160 - 190 BHP which is relatively easy to achieve with the zetec engine.

Both engines are seriously good compared to the 8 valve options.

Kevin

Thanks Chaps, I've just returned from buying a 1995 standard red top Vauxhall Sei...It was raining and I didn't get to take the car out of it's garage, but I don't care! I've got one and can't wait till next weekend to go and pick it up......

Its on 45 webbers, and is otherwise standard, running a 3.52 diff - what performance will this give me? I imagine that a good old "bl**** QUICK" would sum it up? have any of you fellow VX guys have websites with your exploits that I can drool over 'till next week?

Six years, of Strikers, Tigers and sylva Mojos are over...I just decided yesterday to stop messing about in the lower leagues and buy what I really have allways wanted.  :D  :D  :D