Remote thermostat

tomo

I'm building a car with a Toyota 4AGE engine - I'm surprised more don't use these as they're a fantastic unit.

I've had few problems with the installation so far but am struggling to solve the thermostat problem.  These engines come out of FWD (or mid engined in the case of the MR2) cars with remote thermostats.  Due to the complexity of the plumbing these seem to get lost when the engines are taken out and most people seem to run without thermostats.  Given the recommendations in some other threads I'm now wondering if this is a bad idea.  Does anyone know of an affordable source of remote thermostats ?  QED seem to do one to solve Elise cooling problems but they're £140 or so.

I'm grateful for any advice.

Cheers

Think I've seen some bike engines with remote stats. Maybe the fireblade or the cbr1000?

or was it the R1?

Aslong as you can get a stat to fit it with your temperature range, no reason why you couldnt use that.

or, you could use an electric water pump and controller, statless?

Not much help, but just a couple of pointers...

Horse

I think there are a few (old) cars which use thermostats in the top radiator hose, ie pushed into the end of the hose nearest the engine and secured there with a jubilee clip. I'm trying to think what vehicle(s) I've seen this on. Have a word with your local motor factor and see if he knows of any or rummage through the boxes at Halfords.

Failing that you could make a restrictor to put in the top hose but warm up times will be longer and what works on a winter day won't work in the height of summer.

If the thermostat is too far from the engine you might find it takes too long for the heat to propagate along the pipe and open the stat as the engine warms up. The result is that the engine temperature overshoots the desired temperature and then suddenly drops as the stat opens. If you get this sort of problem drill a small (1mm) hole in the thermostat valve disc to allow a little flow past the stat at all times.

Kevin