Rivnut tool

tomo

I'm having problems fitting rivnuts. My hand tool won't compress an M6 stainless steel insert tight enough (in fairness it doesn't claim to).  I've tried several hire shops but they don't know what I'm talking about.  I've heard that its possible to do it with a bolt but I've not managed it so far.  Before I spend £120 on a heavy duty tool can anyone offer any help.

Jas

Many thanks for this.  It looks identical to the one I've got which only does ally (not stainless steel) in M6.

Maybe I should buy one and hire it out.  Anyone interested ?

My rivnut tool is from RS Components and it works just fine on steel rivnuts up to M8 and has had a hard life and still works well.

You say you are fitting stianless-steel rivnuts ?

are these to a similar stanless material or to mild steel. If to MS you will not gain much from SS as this SS will rust in contact with MS.

• 2 weeks later...

I also use the RS tool and although it gets them pretty tight I always worry about one spinning when you tighten it up and then its too late.

The trick I have used to combat this is to use a small spot of weld on each side of the rivnut after its in, this makes sure it will never spin and leave you stuck with a loose bolt.

An alternative to welding is Araldite or epoxy glue.

And if you have different metals, e.g. steel bolt in an aluminium rivnut, make sure you apply some oil to the bolt - otherwise they corrode inside the rivnut and then they're a *real* b******* to remove  :angry:

I'll second Nick's advice (as I usually do ;) )

All my rivnuts are araldited in, and all the bolts in them are copperslipped...........