A bit of a tight squeeze ?

Clanger

I've finally convinced "her in doors" that building my own car would be a good idea. So the Ducati has got to go. I'm a newbie and this is my first post so excuse me if the questions have been asked before.

1. Space. I have'nt the luxury of a large garage. Minus the working area of the bench it measures 15ftx8ft with a 7ft opening. Is this too small to comfortably work on the car ?

2. What is a realistic budget for a bike engined car ?

3. Is a bike engined car an acceptable first project ? I'm not too worried about any aspect of the build as I work in the engineering trade (18 years) and have access to all types of engineering related equipment.

4. During my research I have noticed there are quite a few manufacturers of this style of self build car. Any opinions on the opposition ? Try not to be to biased, please.

That'll do for starters.

All input greatly appreciated. :t-up:

My 15x8 garage was OK, but only just. I suggest you hang (but don't tighten) the suspension, and fit some wheels so that you can move the beast around..........

Budget depends entirely on how much reconditioning you do yourself, and how much you spend on new bits. I have zero expereince with bike engine builds, but I normally pick a figure, then double it.....................or around 8-10K I would have thought.

Acceptable first project, and you are an engineer, with access to the "right" tools? Should be a doddle ;)

Try not to be biased.....yeah, right. This is the Westfield Sports Car Club, so a partisan view is all you should expect ;) Try that question on our favourite "other" site an' see what happens...... :0  ;)  :devil:

To save space only collect the bodywork when its needed and use plywood discs as wheels until it is nearly finished this saves 7" each side with the body off.

Where are you in the country I did the same thing but with a Zetec engine look at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.jones37/index.html

E-mail me if you need any more help also an engineer by trade

Paul

Thanks Westfieldman2002 and Blatman for the response.

Good idea about the plywood wheels, smart thinking ! The car looks awesome on the website PJ.

I plan to do as much recon work as possible to keep costs down. I also have the advantage of being able to obtain Ford car parts at a discount. I don't mind getting hold of a part built project if I can track one down.

I think I really need to see a car at close quaters before commiting myself to building one. I'll probably wait till I can see one close up at one of the shows. Just to get a feel for the thing, dimension wise; as I've only really seen pictures so far.

You're right about the partisan view, but worth a try I thought !

I'll probably be posting sporadically over the next few months as questions pop into my head down here in deepest darkest South Wales. So please keep an eye out in the other forums.

Last thing for a moment, am I right in thinking the cars are similar to superbikes, a bad case of perm-a-grin when you get behind the wheel. :D

Thanks

Much is made of the "4 wheeled superbike" analogy. As a biker of nearly 1 million miles (yes really) experience, I can say hand on heart that they are nothing like a bike. They are also like no other car you've ever driven either   ;)

Performance from well sorted, powerful car will be staggering, even if you are used to bike type acceleration. You'll be chasing bikers along their favourite roads, and trying to pass them in the corners.............but it'll be easier if you don't have a bike engine yourself  :0  :devil:

I might add, you'll be chasing them along the road and passing them on thier favourite corners because thats where these cars succeed. From another not so high mileage ex biking vx Westy owning enthusiast.  Brian

Besides, half of todays SuperBikes are being ridden by Born agains, after theyve paid off thier mortgage. Last thing they rode was a C15. No wonder it such a growth area for injuries or death.....

There that should get some debate going.....  ;)

I've been researching the bike engine V car engine options.

There seem to be two clearly defined camps. Fans of conventional engines and fans of bike engined cars. Pros and Cons with both setups.

Conventional seem to be more userfriendly.

The more research I undertake the more I'm edging towards a conventional engine. But then there's the engine options, decisions, decisions ??????

I thought it was going to be difficult enough to chose a kit manufacturer !

I'm thinking Zetec 16v at the moment,2.0 litre, purely on the basis of the modern design, engine weight etc,  as compared to a Pinto for example, but that idea changes every day !

Its definately going to be Ford, because I work for them and can get discount on parts.

Comments welcome

Clanger ???

There are lots of Zetec, bike engine and Vauxhall fans. The simple amswer is that the Vx is a much better engine for tuning than a Zetec, with much higher outputs available for next to nothing. In the first instance, most Zetecs seem to have around 130bhp as standard, which rises a little with a set of 45's bolted on (NOT an option if the car needs SVAing on a post 1995 engine). Most Vx's show approcahing 160-170bhp with the same mods. My Vx has only had a cam swap (about £150, if you ignore the injection conversion, which does not significantly increase power over carbs) and when it was last on the roillers, showed 187bhp. I could easily join the 200+bhp club for under £500.

The Zetec and bike engine boys will be along in a mo' to extoll the virtues of their installations, and they're all very good, so pay attention. The best way to decide would be to try a few. Get along to your nearest area meet, have a chat to the owners, and see if you can blag a ride. You won't regret it.

You want to put a normal engine in a Westy? Don't do it!!!!!

Fit a bike engine with an electric reverse. Six speed sequential, 10,000rpm and around 300to 380 bhp/ton all for between £1000 and £4000 depending on the engine.

The installation is VERY simple and there's tons of room in the engine bay - so no skined knuckles. You get manic power without any modifications - how much does a Weber injection conversion cost? Come to that, how much does a pair of Weber 45's cost for that matter.

Tuning and setting them up is easy and relatively inexpensive and adding another 20bhp does not cost the GDP of a medium size European country - as does normal car engine mods.

If you want a car with a Zetec or Vx engine, buy a Ford or a Vauxhall :)

Regards

John

The MegaBLADE Site

In the first instance, most Zetecs seem to have around 130bhp as standard, which rises a little with a set of 45's bolted on

130 is in the tin top, with 45's and a decent exhaust the 2l gives a genuine 160-165bhp

This rises another 10-15 with a cam amd will rise to a genuine 200 with a bit of head porting.

(NOT an option if the car needs SVAing on a post 1995 engine)

This applies to any make of engine later than 1995, SVA emission regs.

Up to 200bhp there's little to choose between them, the Zetec is about 10hp down for the same mods but is 20ish kg lighter, is mounted lower and further back in the westie application and I believe revs higher (7400rpm).

Above 200bhp is a lot easier with the VX.

Either engine will push you along a a fair lick

Carl ;)