X Flow Carbs

Dave

???

I have a x-flow  + twin 40's in a 1990 sei wide

The K&N filters are resting on the top chassis rail & the sump is very low to the ground???

Is this the way it should be ???

or has the engine been mounted to low in the car??

Carbs resting on the top chassis rail is not good, especially if the mounts are rubber. When the engine moves due to torque reaction, you'll run the risk of breaking something.

Is the sump standard, or is it a modified shallow one? If it's standard, then it's lower than it might be. If it's a shallow sump, then it looks like you could do with raising the engine a tad........

Dave,

the engine on the xflow is held in with two mounts which consist of a block of rubber at an angle. This means the weight of the engine squashes the rubbers in a wedge shape:

\\-//  

If one of the rubbers has delaminated from the metal the engine will drop downwards on one side and it sounds liek this has happened here. This can happen for two reasons. The rubber mount is old and knackered or if the engine mounts on the rails are too far apart the engine weight is being held by the rubbers and not by the wedging action leading to short engine mount life. I think there are newer mounts that dont use the these rubber mounts availiable now from Westfield cos the old rubber mounts of this type are geting rare.

It's worth checking the other side too, as depending on your exhaust manifold type it could be resting on the round tube that slopes downwards towards the rear, if the engine is lower than it should be. This is also not as obvious as the filters on the other side. Took me years to spot it on mine! You mentioned the sump being low, as if this was the lowest bit - on mine, with Jenvey ally sump (i.e. shallower) the RS2000 bellhousing is in fact the lowest bit by about half an inch if my memory serves.

:(

The e- mounts seem OK, I lifted the engine and ther are is apparent delamination of the rubber from the steel backing.

does anybody have any dimensions available for x-flow engine position. sat chassiss rail ti bottom of block or rocker cover to underside of bonnet ???:xmas: