Legs too short

Mrs Westy

Hello all,

I'm 'the wife' referred to by Westy...at first I was a bit dubious about spending our conservatory money on a Westie, but I have to say, after only a few days, I think it was a jolly good decision, and have been looking forwards to having a go at driving it myself...

However, I have discovered a technical hitch to my enjoyment...the seat doesn't move and being 5'2 I can't reach the pedals  :(    Am I destined to always be a passenger or is there a cunning way to enable me to sit further forwards and drive said car?  We thought about a low-tech response of putting some cushions (rather a lot of cushions) behind me on the existing seat - but will they squash at speed, dislodge themslve, and will the seatbelt thingy do up that far over them anyway?

Anyone sorted out this problem before/got any bright ideas?  I can't believe I'm the only short Westiewife out there...  

TIA  Alison

PS No 'nice one son, got a car the Mrs can't drive' to Westy please!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nick M

• gee_fin

• Mrs Westy

• Buzz Billsberry

Hmmm, those seats should move, or is it just a case of they don't move far enough ??

If it's the latter then sadly there might not be a lot you can do without changing the seats entirely. My mother, who's only 5'2", just managed to drive my car with the seat right forward and the harness fully slacked off (my car is fitted with the light-weight race seats).

If it's just that the seats are stuck then removing them (4 bolts) and freeing up the runners should sort the problem out.

Hope you get something sorted out - these cars are that much more fun when the "other half" gets as much enjoyment out of them as we do.

..the seat doesn't appear to be set on runners.  Perhaps the original builder (Obviously a long-legged person) had no intentions of selling so built it with fixed seats set right at the back?  If so is it "easy" to take it off and put it on runners, and will this alter the height of the seat, as if it gets any higher, Mr Westy's head will be higher than the roll bar!

Hello Mrs. Westy,

Had the same problem with Mrs. mb919 and myself....

6'2" / 5'8" / fixed seats.

Simple fix is use high density foam and spray carpet glue to make a cushion that fits the seat.

Leave it in the passenger side when either its not needed or your taking a break from the terrible task of driving :) and the swop seats when you take over.

We did just this and it works fine.

I'll try to take some pictures of it and post it to my web site or email it to you if you want.

Regards

John

The MegaBLADE site

I'd have a closer look at the seats - they look like either Westfield sports seats (which are adjustable) or Cobra 7 seats (which are also adjustable).  There should be an adjuster lever somewhere near the front of the seat near the floor.

The runners don't add much, if anything, to the height of the seat and I would imagine they'd be quite hard to fit to the car without them.  Not saying that hasn't been done of course, just that it would seem an unnecessary thing to do.

AAahh yes you are indeed correct.  Mr Westy obviously "inadvertantly" tucked the carpet over the bar so it was out of sight...With the seat right forward (and the carpet slightly screwed up under it) I can just about reach the pedals so I reckon with a pair of deep soled shoes I should be ok :)

Thanks for your help - that's why we're "Newbies" and you're not!!  Now I know to take a closer look for myself before asking questions...

Mrs Westy

As they say, "There's no such thing as a stupid question - except the one you didn't ask".

Anyway, have fun and make sure you let Mr Westy have the keys back occasionally...... ;)

Trust me - spousal interest pays dividends in the long run :)

It makes getting all those awkward little expenses like new tyres, brake upgrades, new engines, etc., etc., approved by her sooo much easier  ;)

I'd second what Nick M says about spousal interest. My only problem is that Blatgirl is nagging me for more power so that she can add to her collection of trophies..........

Mind you, at least she's going halfers on the costs  :)