If only I could look at another Westfield

DavidR

I got my 1991 CVH Westfield in July and enjoyed every minute of driving it. Although it is brilliant fun it is the toughest car to drive I have ever had, so the time has come to start dealing with a few of the wrinkles / bugs that I knew it might have.  I need to fix a few ex-rebuild problems that I'm not happy about

e.g. Brakes pull to the right and it looks like the swept area on the left is smaller. :0 Wrong pads I expect but didn't spot when I bought

e.g. The cycle wings have been very strangely fitted with one bracket being very bent to fit.

e.g. The air filter touches the chassis/body when engine revved.

e.g Finding 1st gear in the gate between Reverse and 3rd is near impossible. I fixed getting 3rd instead of 5th by tightening up the bolts on the top of the remote on the gearbox.

Is there anyone out there within 50 miles of Portsmouth with a CVH cycle wing version I could look at and get a clue?  

I have tried the Hants local meets but there were only 2 of us there (twice)  ???

All suggestions gratefully received. (Usual physical impossibilities excluded).....

Brakes

Change pads and check disks are not scored/corroded. Check pistons are free in calipers (ours had jammed on 1992 CVH)

Cycle wings

Clearance is tight with big wheels and tyres (205s). No probs with 185/60x14s

Air filter

Check is engine mounting rubbers have not sagged, if not add some spacer washers under engine mounts. Not a lot of clearance available.

Gear selection

The Westfield remote can be a bit vague, try replacing the plastic bush at the end of the gear lever

Gear selection

Please excuse the very non-technical reply!!

On my remote there is a small projection that is to stop the lever moving across into reverse - I added a little weld to make this more pronounced so that I had to push down a little more to engage reverse and hence didn't find it accidentally so often.

Julian

• 2 weeks later...

Finding reverse accidentally?

I have trouble finding it on purpose! I've lost count how many times I've thought it's in reverse and then shot forward unexpectedly.