Driving Unregistered

smayo

I'm just about to apply for my SVA, but in the meantime I need to get Westfield to do the setup.  I can borrow a trailer to get it there, but the question is, can I drive it back from Westfield after setup?  The SVA booklet I got from my local VRO office states "You will be able to travel to and from the test station without the vehicle having been registered and licenced, and, if necessary, to and from a garage or other place where modifications are to be done to enable compliance with the requirements".  Does this then allow me to drive my Speedsport back home after it has been setup and running all nice and lovely? ???

Advice would be appreciated

Thanks

If you have a trailer use it it's a very GRAY bit of the law and it's best to use a trailer, at least one person has been done by the law for this.

You can drive on the day of the SVA to and from the test station insured on the chassie number but thats all. The law do you for no insurance if you get caught at any other time this will hurt at insurance time etc.

About to have my car SVA'd soon, you can have a local garage drive and TEST it on trade plates if he is a car repairer if booked in and invoiced and he is TESTING your car good idea to bead the brakes in a bit etc.

Paul   I belive this to be correct and true but check if you feel it is not.

YOU DO NEED INSURANCE (insure it using the chassis number as identification)

As I understand it (And have practiced)

MOT - OK  :D

SVA - OK  :D

Westfield / Other  - Very Grey Area  :(

In all cases you need to be properly booked in

I think the "modification to enable compliance" clause means that if you fail the SVA you would be able to take it to a garage to have work done on the areas you failed, much like you can drive a registered car with no MOT to a place where it'll be fixed.

I wouldn't risk taking it to the factory in this manner because if you do get stopped (and it's likely with no plates!) you won't have a leg to stand on.

If you want to drive it, book it in for an MOT at a local garage and take it there. I did this and it was a useful shake down and they pointed out a few things which needed attention before the SVA. My mate got pulled by the police doing this and they were more concerned about how much faster his Dax rush cosworth was than their T5 than the legalities!

I wouldn't advise driving it to the SVA because if anything does go wrong and you're late / miss the appointment / it's raining it causes problems. Hire a trailer instead. If you take a mate along to bring the car+triler back, you could of course drive it back home.

Kevin

Thanks for the advice.

I've e-mailed the Vehicle Inspectorate at Swansea about this (as well as for an SVA application form).  If I get a reply I'll let you all know.

Thanks.