SVA related question(s)...

fordy

Hi all,

Im going to buy a second had Westie (cant wait :-) ) - i was wondering, if i bought a pre-SVA car - do i have to get it through SVA or as it would have already been registered it doesnt apply??? - If i change the engine, do i have to re-register it, and put it though SVA???  What changes can be made without having to re-register it???

Sorry about all the questions - hope to be joing you chaps on the roads soon :D

Also, my budget is fairly limited - 7K max - so im probably going to end up getting a 1700 xflow - are these quick enough, or should i find the estra dosh and get a 16V zetec or similar??

Thanks very much for any advice.

Chris Ford

(AKA - fordy)

Chris

SVA is only for first registration. You don't need to do it even if you change the engine.

For your budget you will get a CVH engined car, or if you are lucky a Vauxhaul or Zetec engined car.

fordy,

as long as you get a car that is registered (either before SVA era or after) you wont need to SVA it agiain.

You can change the colour / engine type / number size just by using the change of particulars on the back of the V5.

7K should get you a pretty good X-flow whereas you would need poss another 2K for a Vx. having owned both a good X-flow is a fast road car whereas a Vx is an extreeme road car.

THanks very much for the answers.  Good news about the SVA then - makes buying less stessful knowing that i havnt got to SVA it ever!!!

Hope to pick up a 16V - may have to dig out the piggy bank!!!

Ooh - one more question i forgot - Are the X-flows leaded?? and if so is LRP OK or can they be converted?? (actually thats 2 questions - sorry)

THanks a lot - Im sure ill have many more questions soon :0

Xflows tend to be leaded but quite a few have already been converted.  If you get a leaded one you can either get a replacement head from somewhere like Vulcan for about £200 or get hardened valve seats fitted to your own cylinder head for a bit less.

I've got a 1990 SEiW that was built with a x-flow originally but re-engined with 1800 Zetec in 1999 and bought it for £7.5k including a trailer (mind you, I've spent £3k on it since 'cos there's always something you think you can do better)  

:devil:  :devil: