Rotary powered widebody

expatkiwi

Would have been nice to see a picky of the install rather than a westfield with off centre V8 bonnet & a sticker on it!!

Buzz

:laugh:

indeed - could be a jar of pickled onions under there for all we know! My money's on the chavs at Santa Pod.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• expatkiwi

• JulianE

• peterg

• slater

Hello Brian, glad to see you found your way onto this site  :t-up:

I have seen the engine in place... I think... well... it looked like the inside of my washing machine  :oops:  :laugh:

Glad to hear you have it running now. Maybe you can bring it along to one of the area meets as it would be good to see the car in the flesh.

Once I get the front suspension sorted as there is a small problem with shock length then yes I will get it to a meeting.

As for more pics, I will get some done as soon as said problem above is sorted so that we are all happy.

Brian

252bhp @ 9000

Hope to get soe decent pics of the car up later in the week. Got probs accesing photobucket at the mo. Might try and find another free web host thing

• 2 weeks later...

It look s a fairly big lump in there, don't know why, but I thought they were a bit smaller. How are you doing with the noise, I was expecting to see pipes going backwards and forwards along the car to pass noise with one of those.

Is water temp an issue as you have a pretty big fan and water pipes.

Great project, will be interesting to see how quick it is :D:D

They are usually 1300 i think

I have been messing with these engines for longer than I care to remember.

Engine is 1308 cc

Yes it looks a bit big but if you consider that its diameter if you like is only the same size as the gearbox bellhousing then its not that big at all. Plus there is no big cylinder head up there also.

granted mine looks a little on the large side but tha could be that its sitting a little higher in the chassis than I would have liked due to not having enough cash for a dry sump system. I believe in spending as little to go as fast as I can and with several regional championships and a national title under my belt it works for me.

As for the noise well its not an issue as the exhaust thats on there now is only a temporary one just to get us moving for some santa pod stuff.

My apoliogies if my spelling is a bit ruff and my temper seems short nut blame it on the Magners Cirder.

Cheers and Hic

Brian

It look s a fairly big lump in there

When you note how little projects above the sides of the chassis (just the carb and oil filter)  and how far back the mass of teh engine is, that must make a heck of a difference to the centre of gravity.

Compare with the number of posts on here about lack of bonnet clearance, and those that have to take a piece out of the nose cone lip to clear the camshaft pulleys - neat.

As they say - what does it rev to? :)

Engine is 1308 cc

I used to run a Mk1 RX7 and wasn't there some controversy about the displacement? Iseem to remember that if you wanted more power you just bolted another rotor to the front] :devil:  :p

lewis

Engine is 1308 cc

I used to run a Mk1 RX7 and wasn't there some controversy about the displacement? Iseem to remember that if you wanted more power you just bolted another rotor to the front] :devil:  :p

lewis

My engine revs to 9k.

As for bolting on another rotor well its not quite that simple as you need a special two peice crank for that.(mucho wonga)

My engine has had the inlet and outlets enlarged quite considerably but you can go one more with the porting and blank off the origionals and drill new one straight into the side of the rotor housings, this is the next step for me and should see a power gain giving me 300bhp.

I would prefer grapes as my fruit of choice in hospital please.

As for the engine size and swept volume etc it is quite longwinded but I ran my old RX7 in the up to 2000cc class in sprints no probs. And as this car is sports and libre class it makes no odds whatt cc it is. I just want to go fast. Was hoping to be at Santa pod on the first weekend of october for the jap finals but I have issues with my trailer not being available. :(

Take it to Shakespeare county raceway on the 17th October,a bit of a drive for you but would love to see it in action,my next door neighbour used to build rotary engines and his jaw just dropped when I told him of your car....................