• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• expatkiwi

• JulianE

• peterg

• slater

i have looked at it a few times in the westy and in an elise ,speak to pip at wgt he knows his stuff on w**kels ,the exhaust system is very important on them he had one in that doubled back twice down the side and the whole system was glowing on the dyno ,you want a 4 rotar and some ridiculas bhp

Ok some info on me.

Basicly raced rallied hillclimbed and sprinted in New zealand up to 1998 using what ever I could get my hands on.

Moved over here at the end of 99 and went and did a rally in a 205 then spent a few years navigating. In 2005 I got a 1st gen RX7 from Pip at WGT with street ported 13b. Made it all a bit lighter(thats an understatement...800kg in the end) and set about doing the ACSMC sprint championship which we won the upto 2ltr modified production class and finished 3rd overall. The engine was then rebuilt to produce 250bhp and then it was decided that eventhough I was close to westfield and other kit car times we couldnt cut it with a car that heavy. After looking at just about every kit that is available I thought hang on what about that old westy I saw several years ago in the shed. So I made contact and sure enough it was still there and better still he accepted my offer.

After new Siltech frontend,avo,ally panels, floor mounted pedal box unbelievable amount of cleaning tidying etc its nearly ready to go.

Noise wont be an issue as we have got that covered. It N/A on a 51mm IDA Weber and runs through a Mazda C/R gearbox also. Its my old race engine from the RX7.

By the way its Bills old car.

Chris Marries who used to work for the Mazda Le Mans team fitted one to a Westfield in the 90's and campaigned it quite well in the Northern Saloon and Championship

Biggest problem I remember was the noise, an exhaust system back then for it cost 4K

Chris Marries who used to work for the Mazda Le Mans team fitted one to a Westfield in the 90's and campaigned it quite well in the Northern Saloon and Championship

Biggest problem I remember was the noise, an exhaust system back then for it cost 4K

It was very quick tho - whenever the BARC Westfield championship was on at same event as NSCC he used to enter both and usually won both  :D  took a year or so to develop and caught fire on occassion but when sorted was awesome

Good Luck

I used to spanner twiddle for Chris Maries and his old rotary engined westfeild was indeed a beast. To keep it running sweet we used to mix 2 stroke oil in with the petrol (better for the rotor tips), start it one one type of spark plug to get it up to temp the whip them out and change to another type for the race. BY FAR the biggest problem was the noise, we got black flagged on many occasions for excesive noise and you could sometimes hear Chris lift off as he went past the noise marshall  :D . It ended up with a system that had 2 silencers down the side of the car and one across the back.

:t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

In sprints we are allowed upto 108db at some venues(but you all know that if you have a blasted blue book)

The  RX7 always passed noise at 104db and cunning as we are the total length of exhaust will be the same on this car but the two silencers will be a bit  bigger

• 2 months later...
Just to let you all know it lives again and runs well. Taking it to santa Pod soon to do some chav bashing :mad:

When will you be taking it to the Pod.??.

How about some pics of the engine installation. :D  :D

Would have been nice to see a picky of the install rather than a westfield with off centre V8 bonnet & a sticker on it!!

Buzz