Have I Found A Replacement For The Eleven?

Fat Albert

Fat Albert

Went over to Tiger yesterday to have a munch around/short blat in an ERA 30. I have been looking for a Lotus 23 clone for a couple of years, this one ticks all the boxes (well almost).

Front.JPG

Rear.JPG

EngineLeft.JPG

EngineRight.JPG

ChassisFrontRight.JPG

1800 Zetec, Weber 45s, Alpha Management,otherwise standard, 150bhp. Hewland Mk9 (just like my old goodness me). Fully rose jointed, fully adjustable suspension, pedals, etc., eligible for the SR & GT challenge.

They have SVAd two and even from my short trip I can confirm performance and grip :love: I was amazed at the ride quality, way better than anything similar in my experience.

Drawbacks, not enough room in the cockpit and not enough protection for the driver/pax (i.e. needs a helmet) both resolvable, IMO, with different seating arrangements. No syncromesh for the road.

Anything I should know about Tiger?, (you can PM if necessary). I'd appreciate any comment.

Eccentric_Rich

Albert,

I've always wanted a 23B replica as well. You might want to have a look at Xanthos Cars as they produce a very accurate replica of the original Lotus 23B complete with 'proper' wobbly wheels etc. Not cheap though!

Richard.

pistonbroke

:love:  :love:  :love:

Just noticed , Is there a reason for the split exhaust other than cosmetic ?

Fat Albert

ER

I've found 4 UK manufacturers of 23s.

Xanthos, make 2 models, one is built as 'original', i.e. using period parts, single circuit brakes etc, Twin Cam, even down to the oil leaks. It can be issued with an FIA ticket and being identical to a 'real' one can therefore raced in relevant historic championships, if that is, owners of 'real' ones weren't so far up their backsides as to consider them beneath contempt. Can't be SVAd though. The other is a track day/SR & GT car but retains the original chassis, can be fitted with a variety of engines, etc.

Mamba, make a track day/racer, Duratec/Volkswagen transaxle (their own adaptor). They had one SVAd but there were numerous issues and certainly I was 'discouraged' from considering it for the road.

Martyni, made a monocoque chassis (it's enough to cause apoplexy in a 'real' owner) road/race car which has been fitted with a variety of motors.

And Tiger. who unlike all the others who have concentrated on 23 replicas, have modified the shape and engineering to produce something better than a 23 could ever be. (E.g. the body is widened to permit 7" rims and wider track, suspension geometry is this century, etc. Jim has been insistent, up to now, that the car is an ERA and therefore is delivered finished or as a kit with everything included.

At one extreme Xanthos make a 'new' Lotus 23, at the other Tiger make a modern(ish) kit car which looks like a 23. All have their pros and cons, oh and a 'real' one will set you back £60k :down:

RICHARD+PHILIP

Look Fantastic

I'm not sure if it's a problem but I went to a sprint last year at goodwood and tiger single seater era's were having terrible trouble changing gear (like all 30 of them missing every other gear) guess it was a problem with the gear linkage rather than the Hewland box but it might be worth investigating

Fat Albert

R&P

I should think that the straight cut gears were an issue to most, especially if they'd never driven a non syncromesh box  before. I'd imagine most thought that double de-clutching was a foreign language.  ;)

I raced a formula ford in '74 with a 'Metso' gearbox, now that was an entirely different kettle of stripped gears :angry:. The other problem with the Mk9 might be ultimate power, I shouldn't think it would handle much more without reliability issues.

For the track the option to change the ratios to suit every circuit is probably a bigger advantage than another 30bhp, however, the box could be a negative, since the resale value might be compromised.

Hey Ho, decisions, decisions

Must say that I was mucho taken  :love:

Fat Albert

I forgot to mention that Westfield built 6 23B clones in the late 80s, all were shipped to the states and have, despite much research, apparently gone to the home of rest for retired racing cars (scrapyard).

Must say that if I had been Chris and Richard I would have looked at a 23B clone with the Audi lump instead of the XTR4, OK it would have been slower but the appeal would have been more than 'radical' ;)

I too spent a long time looking at the 23 before deciding to take the plunge on the 11.  I looked at both the Mamba and ERA 30, my personal choice would be the Mamba, as I can't afford the Xanthos!.  The ERA I looked at didn't light my fire, the proportions looked wrong for a 23, in fact I believe this is why it is the ERA 30 not 23 because it isn't a replica but rather looks similar.

The Mamba however, was more like it.  It was originally designed by a chap called Lee Noble whom you may have heard of, he seems to be a fairly competent car designer :t-up: !!  It also uses the Audi transaxle which is a far cheaper option than the Hewland.  I was also looking to fit either the Duratec or Audi 1.8T engine both of which will use the Audi gearbox (one of which because it is designed to do so making things so much easier).

Also Martyni I did try and see but the company was going through some changes following a falling out and the car wasn't being actively pursued.

Fat Albert

There are issues with the Mamba for road use as I've indicated, it is however, a very nice clone and an improvement on the original. Certainly the one that Ken Culverwell campaigns (having replaced his 11) goes pretty well in the SR & GT race series.

The ERA bodywork changes are to raise the height of the headlights (for SVA) and widen the wheel arches at the front allowing bigger wheels, from the front wheel arches backwards it's vanilla 23.

Whether you like the changes or not is a personal matter, I'm not after a replica otherwise I'd buy a Xanthos chassis/body, what I've seen of the ERA is impressive but I'm still in 'gathering info' mode, 'er in doors doesn't have worry about the credit card....

Yet :blush:

• 6 years later...

Went over to Tiger yesterday to have a munch around/short blat in an ERA 30. I have been looking for a Lotus 23 clone for a couple of years, this one ticks all the boxes (well almost).

Front.JPG

Rear.JPG

EngineLeft.JPG

EngineRight.JPG

ChassisFrontRight.JPG

1800 Zetec, Weber 45s, Alpha Management,otherwise standard, 150bhp. Hewland Mk9 (just like my old goodness me). Fully rose jointed, fully adjustable suspension, pedals, etc., eligible for the SR & GT challenge.

They have SVAd two and even from my short trip I can confirm performance and grip love.gifI was amazed at the ride quality, way better than anything similar in my experience.

Drawbacks, not enough room in the cockpit and not enough protection for the driver/pax (i.e. needs a helmet) both resolvable, IMO, with different seating arrangements. No syncromesh for the road.

Anything I should know about Tiger?, (you can PM if necessary). I'd appreciate any comment.

Looks great in BRG.