What cars have you owned

Cleggy the Spyder Man

4 hours ago, Howsafe Workwear and Safety Equipment said:

Thinking about an X5 45e - how you getting on with it?

Never had a BMW before but I'm quite impressed. Build quality is really good.

Changed from the Merc as the BIK was enormous and now pay half the amount of tax as what the merc cost.

The battery gives me around 30 miles of electric running from a full charge but I expect that to increase when the days get longer and warmer due to having the heated seat, heated steering wheel, Climate control and lights on for most of my journeys. Engine is a bit thirsty averaging 15mpg. Air suspension glides over bumps.

At the moment I cant fault it (only took delivery at beginning of December)

15 hours ago, Scotty72 said:

Never had a BMW before but I'm quite impressed. Build quality is really good.

Changed from the Merc as the BIK was enormous and now pay half the amount of tax as what the merc cost.

The battery gives me around 30 miles of electric running from a full charge but I expect that to increase when the days get longer and warmer due to having the heated seat, heated steering wheel, Climate control and lights on for most of my journeys. Engine is a bit thirsty averaging 15mpg. Air suspension glides over bumps.

At the moment I cant fault it (only took delivery at beginning of December)

good to know - and the BIK drops to 8% from April next year so you will be better off even more

Thanks

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Scotty72 said:

Engine is a bit thirsty averaging 15mpg.

Holy crap!  All city or are you driving uphill constantly?  That’s very thirsty!

1 hour ago, Captain Colonial said:

Holy crap!  All city or are you driving uphill constantly?  That’s very thirsty!

All city at the moment. I dont drive very conservatively and that's roughly the same mpg as the C43 AMG

Shows how messed up the taxing system is that a big behemoth of a car gets a tax cut because its proven it 'can' drive on electric for over 30 miles. When In the real world it's a big 6 cylinder SUV doing 15mpg. The worlds gone mad.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Shows how messed up the taxing system is that a big behemoth of a car gets a tax cut because its proven it 'can' drive on electric for over 30 miles. When In the real world it's a big 6 cylinder SUV doing 15mpg. The worlds gone mad.

I agree, but whilst the government allow me to take advantage of that im gonna. I pay more than enough tax as it is so any opportunity to reduce it is more than welcome. 

• Like 1

Oh I agree. I'm all for a legitimate tax dodge :d

I just dont agree with the whole green charade over any hybrids. None of which actually do what they say they will and are just as 'dirty' if not more so than some of their conventionally powered cousins. 

Cars owned in order:

Nissan Bluebird 1.8 GS - Dog ugly car but super strong engine

Peugeot 405 SRI 1.9 - Beautifully balanced for a front wheel drive.

Audi Coupe 2.0 16v - Converted this to bike ITGs and Megasquirt,  Koni all round and big brakes. Totally undrivable as a daily in the end, but mad and made a great noise with super sharp cornered for a heavy car

Audi UR S6 - Original S6 running the 20V 5 cylinder engine MTM. Just glorious all round. I miss this car so much. I miss welding the Jack Russell to the boot window when accelerating

Skoda Octavia RS MK1 - Surprisingly fast but very poor build quality in my opinion. Glad it got crashed into.

Audi Q5. Just absolute ****ing misery on wheels. Made me loose my love of Audi's and want to buy a pedal bike.

Currently New BMW 530d. Glorious with 640 Nm torque it just fly's and feels feather light at the wheels

Oh and 1 unfinished 250 and a well smashed SEIW. Rebuild thread here

2 hours ago, Paul Aspden The 2nd said:

I miss welding the Jack Russell to the boot window when accelerating

This should be an official method of testing acceleration :d

10 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

This should be an official method of testing acceleration :d

HA HA How long can you keep the dog planted. You have now invented the JR scale of acceleration

• Haha 1

On 17/01/2020 at 13:49, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Oh I agree. I'm all for a legitimate tax dodge :d

I just dont agree with the whole green charade over any hybrids. None of which actually do what they say they will and are just as 'dirty' if not more so than some of their conventionally powered cousins. 

Was listening to an interesting podcast over Xmas Chris Harris and Harry Metcalf that touched on this.  The new co penalties will probably kill off small light city cars for large hybrid suvs which is bonkers. By and large overall life co2 (assuming that actually matters) is most linked to car weight and compounded if it has batteries.  Interesting Mazda ha W started knocking electric as a solution other than a very limited electric range hybrid in town. The Tesla model of huge battery range and big heavy SUV hybrids is crazy from all angles 

28 minutes ago, XTR2Turbo said:

Was listening to an interesting podcast over Xmas Chris Harris and Harry Metcalf that touched on this.  The new co penalties will probably kill off small light city cars for large hybrid suvs which is bonkers. By and large overall life co2 (assuming that actually matters) is most linked to car weight and compounded if it has batteries.  Interesting Mazda ha W started knocking electric as a solution other than a very limited electric range hybrid in town. The Tesla model of huge battery range and big heavy SUV hybrids is crazy from all angles 

I read something about this too. Its bonkers. It doesn't matter what the regulators do the manufacturers will spin it to come out on top. Same thing has just happened with the banks and overdrafts. Rules changed to make it easier to compare charges. So what happens, the banks all put their rates on overdrafts UP to around 40%. 

The only fair way I can see to tax the motorist is on fuel. That way the true EVs still get their tax break. Those who have bigger engines or do loads of miles (ie the biggest polluters) pay the most.  You cant tax on mileage as the EV lot will pay the same as the 10mpg lot. And you cant tax on CO as the manufacturers stick on an electric motor to make the WLTP CO figures look good when in reality they're horrific.

Theres a guy up the street from me who has a company car Mitsubishi phev and i asked him if he had a charge point installed. He said no as hes never charged it at home!! He reckons only does 10 miles on electric so not worth bothering, he only got it because it's in the lowest tax bracket.

From my Jaaaaaag Era in the '90s. We did a lot of European touring for holidays and visiting the family.  Daimler Sovereign which I restored but when I sold it on, the daughter didn't speak to me for a week.  The Jaguarsport XJRS 6.0  was given an engine rebuild,  not technically difficult but keeping all the parts organised was a challenge, took me a year. Sold it on to finance house move.

IMG_20200123_0001.jpg

IMG_20200123_0002.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Fun thread! not going to list all my embarressing cars, lets just give the highlights.

Started....

1979 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL

1986 Fiat X1/9 held together with paint mostly.

Ended....

Ultima RS

Westy

More 5 series cars than i care to remember!

• Haha 1

Wow. Looking at this thread makes me feel really inadequate! 

1. Ford Ka. Brilliant car, like a go-kart. May have crashed it.

2. Ford Ka. Again. Little newer, eventually died.

3. BMW 120d. E87.

4. BMW M135i. F21. Slightly fiddled with (Quaife LSD, roll bars, springs).

...and that's it so far. I've had the M135i since new and it's just tripped over the 100,000 mile point and is starting to feel its age. Maybe time for something new, but not sure what at the moment.

Oh, and:

5. Westfield Sport 250. Currently minus much of its fuel system...