Zetec Starter Motor

NRW

Summer Madness Kit Zetec 1800 starter motor (Bosch)

Tried to start up the Westie after a winter lay up and just got the dreaded clunk of the starter solenoid pulling in but no whirr of the starter motor. No probs I thought just needs the battery charging as it hasn't been used since nov 2008. Still no joy; so removed the starter motor and on the bench it runs fine but the solenoid although pulling in appears not to be passing current to the motor! This is dissapointing as the car has only done 500 miles.

Anyone got any idea what the (presume Ford) part number would be for this starter motor can reconditioned units be readilly found

Which gearbox are you running?

If it's MT 75 which side is the starter on, nearside or offside?

If it's on the offside and is a scorpio gearbox with hydraulic clutch I have a ford starter part number...

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Mark,

It's an MT75 Gearbox with the starter on the offside with a hydraulic clutch.

Don't know if it is a Scorpio box all the parts were new frm Westfield

Ta

Neil

LRS758 for my factory built 1800 zetec with MT75 and hydraulic clutch with starter on offside under the intake manifold.

Kev

Hi Mark,

It's an MT75 Gearbox with the starter on the offside with a hydraulic clutch.

Don't know if it is a Scorpio box all the parts were new frm Westfield

Ta

Neil

Hi Neil,

Yes it's a scorpio box then (all cable types are sierra boxes), as Kev says the Lucas part no is LRS00758 but there's several other cross reference nos, one ford no is 95GB11000 or see this page for the others.....

http://www.woodauto.com/Component.aspx?Ref=STR2009

HTH

Mark.

Cheers guys I will go and shop around for one. I'll let you know how I get on

Update: got a new starter (well recon unit) and will fit it this weekend.

The original Bosch number is 001 108 037 although I think that there are lots of equivalents.

• 2 weeks later...

OK so the new starter was a UNS616 basically a recon Bosch unit and after a wrestle fitting it the car still failed to turn over or the solenoid even clunk!!

I remove the unit from the car again and test it on the bench the motor spins but the solenoid appears to be  shorted. I must admit at this point I'm beginning to doubt my own judgement have I really got two duff starter motors perhaps the battery is dying or the connections are corroded or loose somewhere anyway back to the supplier again and they readily swap it for another recon unit which does look a lot smarter the previous unit. On the bench things seem ok and after fitting to the car bingo!! turns over like a dream hooray...

Moral of this tale get a good multi meter and believe what it is telling you! :)